Spring {Sero}

Sero Hanta x gender neutral!Reader | Angst

•••

The graveyard was silent as always. Not one of the people there speaking, words caught in their throats, words they couldn't bear to speak out loud, so they were silent, looking at the grave with misty eyes, every spark of life that had once been there gone completely, leaving behind a dead void.

But why couldn't they speak? Why wouldn't the words come out, not even a single goodbye, why was it so hard? Because letting go, Sero thought, was hard. Saying goodbye to the people you once loved, probably still do. Actually accepting that they weren't there any more, beside you, their presence warm beside yours. That presence being gone, letting go of that presence, it was hard.
Sero knew that all too well.

He wasn't any different, his empty eyes covered by black bangs gave a hard contrast to his pale skin, while wet trails, left behind by hot tears, covered his cheeks, making the already cold air around colder. A slight shudder went through his body, an airy gasp leaving his lips, but he didn't mind. He didn't mind anymore.
He felt the beating if his heart inside him, a heart that wasn't actually his.

After staring at the thick tree branches above him, he fixed his blurred gaze on the thing in front of him again, a grave. A name was engraved on it, in a perfect font, (L/n) (Y/n).
He just, stared at it. No sound coming from him, word caught in his throat, like always. He kneeled down instead, the snow, that had fallen yesterday, crunching under him, as he leaned against the cold stone, not minding the coldness at all, not even realizing that his cheeks were freezing.

Eventually, he speaked. It wasn't a goodbye, he wasn't ready for that yet, would never be (a laugh left his lips at that), but a simple hey.
Of course, he didn't get an answer, as if he was expecting one. Sero pulled something out from the pocket of his jacket, it was a cassette, a walkman following right after. He remembered his mother looking strangely at him when he had come down from the attic, the walkman in his hand, before a knowing look washed over her, turning back to making dinner and leaving him alone.

One simple word was written on the cassette, Spring,  in royal blue ink and in a messy handwriting which brought a smile to Sero's face, but it immediately fell again as frustration filled the void in his orbs.

Today was the day. He would either listen to this cassette that has been laying on his desk for one month now, untouched, a thin layer of dust gathering on the top of it, or he would burn it, throw it away and never know the truth, what had happened, what they had to say to him, just forgetting everything that had happened.

Sero stared at the cassette for a long time, mixed feelings swirling in his eyes. Finally he took a deep breath, before carefully placing the cassette in the walkman. His hands, no, his whole body trembled, fingers hovering over the play button. He had to do this, he knew that.
So he tightly closed his eyes, and hit play.