26 / closer

Khloe Summer

"Khloe."

"Hey, wake up," a soothing voice urged my consciousness to hoist up from the dark silence of my own slumber. Once I opened my eyes, I winced due to the rays of sunlight coming from my window. Its warmth didn't fill the coldness streaming through my blood.

"You gotta wake up. You're getting late, missy," the same voice said and I rolled over my bed to see my Mom gathering my dirty clothes from all over my room. "And you need to clean your room."

I almost laugh bitterly at that. I couldn't even fix my life so why bother cleaning my room if I was busy trying to make it all right? Trying because since I lost from my own insecure silhouette, I'd been doing a lot of mistakes that I couldn't even find a solution to and they were still hunting me or coming back to bite my ass.

Rubbing my eyes, I got up, reminding myself that I have to clean my room. It might be the solution to align my own universe. Something good might come of it.

Refusing to move from my spot, I took the time to look at my Mom. She was changing the garbage bag of my trash can already in her office attire. I got my looks from her sometimes people think that she was my older sister. In truth, not only she was my Mom. She was also my best friend, my father, and my wing woman.

But now, she was just being like a mother. You know, always taking care of me even though underneath her bright personality, I knew that she'd been through a lot of hell being a single parent. She was so cool!

I gave her a lot of problems already.

So there was no way I would let her get hurt again because of my bad decisions.

With my full garbage bag in her hand, she stood up and gave me a pointy look. "What are you doing there dead on your bed? You're late already. Your sister already went to school without you."

The mention of my sister alarmed all my senses. It reminded me of what I have to do. She reminded me that I have to think about what I have to do to stop this nonsense.

And easily, that nonsense brought my thoughts to my girlfriend— my ex-girlfriend.

The pain inside me gradually intensified once I recalled the event last night. I broke up with my girlfriend last night. I hurt Hilary Damien, the one who made me defeat my own shadow. One of the people who encouraged me to be at my very best all the time.

"I-I don't want to go," I murmured causing my Mom to stop at the door and stared back at me with a frown.

"And what excuse do you have today?" she asked.

I frowned, knowing that that wouldn't do. "In a second thought, I'll go."

My Mom shook her head in amusement before she walked out of my room.

I released a huge sigh and forced myself out of the bed. I hated Tuesdays as much as I hate Mondays. Although I hate myself more for hurting her.

However, I needed to do it. I needed to protect her from harm.

After doing my morning routine lazily, I locked our house before I headed out for school. I still had a little time before the first period starts. Mom was already gone for work and that idea caused me to worry more.

What if?

Damn it! Don't even think about it!

Once I parked at the school parking lot, I took a deep breath first, resting my head back against the headrest for a minute. However, there were so many thoughts already storming in my brain. They were headaches. All I wanted was a clear head so that I could think of a solution with a great outcome. Gotta be positive!