↳ FORTY

WHILE ALMOST DYING was not the most pleasant of experiences to go through, Izzy couldn't deny that the recovery phase following the longest weeks of her life, wasn't half-bad

WHILE ALMOST DYING was not the most pleasant of experiences to go through, Izzy couldn't deny that the recovery phase following the longest weeks of her life, wasn't half-bad. Since she and Chloe had brushed hands with death, the two had been granted some much-needed vacation days, and Isadora fully intended to put them to use without a care in the world. In reality, shutting off her anxiety-induced thoughts was a fantasy she had given up on long ago, but whereas Detective Decker didn't take long to start working a case from home, only to end up back at the precinct — whether or not that had been her intention all along — Izzy was embracing the time for herself.

          And, it wasn't entirely for herself, either. Needless to say, both Diane and Thor were reveling in the extra attention and opportunities to send that same love right back at Izzy. But above all, the Holt was taking advantage of the break from work in catching up on the space that had managed to wedge itself between her and Mazikeen, making things somewhat awkward with the woman. Thankfully, the latter had nothing against the plan — if anything, she was to praise for most of the effort in their budding relationship. They were in a strange place, and Izzy didn't have that much experience with relationships, Maze even less so — they were supposed to figure it out together, but a lot had been going on, and it hadn't turned out to be so easy, after all.

         By now, Izzy was certain that her issue wasn't with the demon dilemma anymore, more so with the idea of such definitive intimacy — the kind that she hadn't had since, well, ever. Making promises about being brave and taking every opportunity was easy right after nearly dying, and while the horrifying experience still haunted Izzy, she was now drained of courage. The truth was, more than being with a demon, she was scared of being with someone at all. It had been a lot easier without the labels on their relationship, but now that it was all out there, it was becoming a bigger and bigger challenge by the second.

        But, all challenges could be overcome.

       "So what about Lucifer's wings?" Izzy's voice broke the silence that had landed in the room, both of the women staring at the ceiling while gently caressing one another's fingers — hands not quite interlocking, but the curiosity was there, much like in their relationship. This was the new normal, so to say, Isadora blurting out the most intriguing questions at the most unexpected times, but like an open book, Maze never held back. If anything, she was desperate to release all her knowledge and get Izzy up to speed, help her understand and remove all the uncertainty.

       Without even glancing towards the redhead, Maze sucked in a breath and continued to draw patterns on the back of Izzy's hand, not skipping a single beat as she shrugged. "When we came to Earth, I cut them off like he asked me to do. He kept them though, but a while back, they got stolen. After that, he burned them", the brunette explained, her voice not faltering for a second, as if the words that hung in the air between them were the most casual thing ever. For Izzy, though, it was the thing that finally made her face the demon, shock and amazement evident on her features — she had truly underestimated the pain that Lucifer had endured, and she was scared to discover if that applied to Maze as well.