Chapter Sixty One

Asteria pulled her trunk behind her, its wheels rattling across the old floor of the Great Hall

Asteria pulled her trunk behind her, its wheels rattling across the old floor of the Great Hall. She came to a stop when her eyes fell upon a group of five Gryffindor students, all laughing loudly around a small mountain of food on the table.

A smile emerged on her face as one boy with wild black hair turned to face her, standing up with a huge goofy grin plastered on his face.

Just as Asteria began making her way over to the group, she was stopped by an all too familiar Slytherin boy.

"Your group's little secret is safe with me." he raised his eyebrows at her.

"Regulus." Asteria greeted him coldly, "I'm not quite sure what you're talking about."
"I won't spill about the werewolf or the animagus business. But you need to know that you owe me." Regulus warned, "And don't tell my brother."

Asteria's throat ran dry as she looked at the boy in shock, "W-what."
"I'll be cashing in on that favour one day." Regulus sneered before striding past her and out of the Great Hall altogether.

The Slytherin girl's eyes wandered over to the head table to see Dumbledore sat down, observing her over the top of his half-moon spectacles. The professor nodded his head and gave her and revealed a warm, smile.

"Ri! What're you doing?" Sirius shouted over to her, beckoning the girl to join them at the table.

"Sorry." Asteria pulled up her trunk and sat down opposite the boy at the table, "Got distracted for a second."

"By what?" Lily asked from beside her.
Asteria looked at Lily and then across at the Marauders, "Just thinking about summer. I think it's going to be great."

"Without a doubt." James beamed.
"Only one more year left at Hogwarts." Sirius added happily.

Remus sighed, "Then what will we do?"
"I either want to keep playing quidditch or become an auror. Whatever pays better." James smirked proudly.

"And to think my aspiration is to help people in their lives." Lily shook her head disapprovingly.

Asteria laughed slightly as Lily and James began bickering back and forth. Then she turned her attention to the boy sat opposite her. They simply looked at each other for a moment, warm smiles playing on their lips.

"Think it's safe to say you can take on anything now." Sirius stated proudly, tucking a strand of Asteria's hair behind her ear.

"You're going back to the Potter's for the summer, aren't you?" she checked.
"Absolutely... You will come and visit, won't you?"
"I wouldn't have it any other way."

Remus rolled his eyes, "Alright, time for you two to join reality again."

"Oh shut up." Sirius retorted.
"Why so stroppy? Are you overdue a manicure or something?" Remus laughed, causing Asteria to start giggling.

"I am not feminine!" Sirius complained.
Asteria burst out laughing, "It's weirder for me; I'm actually going out with you."

"You're the most annoying person I've ever met..." He grumbled.

Asteria grinned before mouthing 'I love you' sweetly to the boy. His cheeks blushed as James stood up to speak to the group.

"Blah blah blah. Important business to attend to. Summer plans. This needs to be epic." James slammed his hands down onto the table with a mischievous grin plastered on his face before ruffling up his hair into a mess.

Lily glanced over at Asteria, "We we're actually thinking about that earlier."

James coughed, "W-what?"

"Sure, your magical stuff is nice and all. Us muggles can have fun too you know." Asteria smirked.
Sirius scoffed, "Right, sure..."

"Ever been rollerblading?" Lily suggested.

"Or midnight bowling?" Asteria shrugged.

Remus frowned, "I have no idea what most of those words mean."
James and Sirius both shook their heads in agreement.

Peter smiled slightly, "I'm terrible at rollerblading but bowling is fun... Although... I'm terrible at bowling too."

No matter how hard Asteria tried to mask her fears with plans of fun and excitement with her friends, there was always the worry of what was to unfold in the wizarding world over the course of the summer.
What would happen if there were more attacks on muggle borns?

Nothing would ever be the same.

James chuckled before winking at Lily, "I've never done either but I bet I'll be the best."
The redhead girl only sighed and rolled her eyes in response, "I wouldn't expect anything else."

Asteria smiled watching the two before pointing out, "I reckon you guys don't even know muggle music."

Sirius scoffed, "Bet it's awful."

"It is not."
"Bet it is."
"It's not!"
"It is."
"How do you know?"
"I'm always right."
"No you're not!"
"I am."

Remus looked at Peter and then shook his head, "I don't think I can put up with you guys over the summer."

Asteria, Sirius, James, and Lily all turned to Remus with surprise.
"What are you on about?" Lily frowned.
James folded his arms, "We're brilliant."

"Yeah, you're about as brilliant as muggle music." Sirius laughed.
Asteria purses her lips, "Muggle music is really good!"
"No it's not."

Peter stood up, "Isn't it time we made our way to the train?"

"Thank you, Wormtail. It is. Let's go." Remus ushered his friends up and out of the Great Hall, their mounds of luggage trailing behind.

Sirius slipped his hand into Asteria's as they walked. "You know, I'll change your mind about muggle music. Just you listen to the Beatles... Or the Rolling Stones."

Sirius pulled away from Asteria with a sceptical look on his face, "Oh would you let it go!"
"Not until I prove you wrong." She smirked.

The boy only sighed in response, dropping his arm around her shoulders with a small smile on his lips.

Lily turned around from the front of the group to face everyone, "You guys will write over summer, won't you?"

"Sure." Asteria shrugged.
Remus added, "Of course."

Lily turned to James, Sirius, and Peter, with her hands firmly on her hips.

"Lil..." James ran a hand through his hair and pushed up his glasses, "I would love to but here's the thing..."

"We'd rather drop dead the write a letter." Sirius finished the sentence.

Asteria furrowed her eyebrows, "Well you better write to me."
Startled, Sirius turned to the girl, "W-well yeah. Of course."

James and Remus roared with laughter, "Yeah, good one Pads."

Peter chuckled, "You really are rebellious, aren't you?"

Lily sighed, "Let's just get to the train. I can't put up with you guys anymore."

The concerns of the Death Eaters has been temporary lifted from the group's shoulders. For a mere moment they were able to enjoy their carefree summer like normal teenagers should.

Little did they know, a lot was lurking around the corner.

The world was about to get a lot darker.

And the challenges were about to get a lot harder.