34. When in October

10 월에있을 때

10 월에있을

It's true that when the bra comes off, you're locked out of life.

And after a long and tiring day, June just had, locking herself out of reality was exactly what she needed. Tucked under the covers with a warm cup of tea within her reach, she had already made the decision that nothing, absolutely nothing, will separate her body from the sunken mattress beneath.

A few glances were thrown outside the window, a sight made out of nothing but the wind carrying around fall leaves that the nature had painted in the warmest colors.

But it was cold, maybe even too cold for this time of the year when October just came by to say hi.

Fingers still slightly numb, June was more than glad that she was finally inside her apartment, all comfortable after suffering the freezing weather not even 15 minutes ago when she walked all the way from the bus stop to the building.

Quite impressive how the weather makes a whole 360 within just a few days time.

But it all was soon pushed to the side when June's hand wrap around the cup of honey-sweetened tea, giving a small blow to it before chuckle-snorting at a drama unfolding on the bright screen.

It was an ideal plan – staying home, curled up in a blanket with a laptop against her lap as the outside wind picked up its pace, the temperature dropping every new minute.

There was an abundance of sighing, screaming and laughing, pairing up with ugly crying and long-awaited daydreaming. Annoying, but then again – every episode was just like that.

It was so interesting to watch a stranger's life unfold, even when yours is right in front of your own nose, completely still and left untouched. As if the life we live on our own wasn't good enough. And then, we choose to live through somebody else because going outside to meet new people seemed like one of the most terrifying things to ever accomplish.

So at the end of the day, we blame it on the weather.

Because that was easier than reaching outside the few cubic centimeters of your skull.

When the voices in a drama have been silenced by the sudden ringing of June's phone, she then closed her laptop, shutting down the world and lives of imaginary people before swiping across the small screen now resting in her hand.

''Hello?''

And a bright smile caught up to her lips when the voice from the other line finally speaks.

''I need a favor.''

It was no other than Namjoon.

And unlike his usual self, he sounded serious.

''Got any plans for the week?''

''Aside from dealing with anxiety and ditching the occasional classes, no, not at all.''

Then Namjoon responded. ''Alright, you'll be ditching again, because I need you to be my wingman. Hoseok bailed on me last minute.''

''Namjoon,'' While shaking her head, there's a small second passing by, just enough for her thoughts to be collected, ''why do I have the feeling that this has something to do with illegal matter?''

''June, I promise you, my mother raised me right. I'm in no way a child of sin.''

A forgiving sigh escaped her lips. ''It's not like I have a choice, do I?''

''Nope, not in a million years.''

Shifting against the old but comfortable couch, her body was glued to the blanket. ''Then tell me what's up. What did your mind come up with this time?''

''A party.''

''Hate to disappoint you, but planning parties isn't really my thing. The only thing I know how to plan out is the number of episodes I'm going to watch per night.'' No lies have crawled out through her teeth. June hated parties. They were loud, full of people she didn't know. The process of actually attending a party would consist of her forcing herself to go 3 whole days prior, how in the world would she be capable of planning one?

But when she doesn't give the answer his ears wanted to hear, Namjoon is quick to reassure.

''Ah c'mon now, can't you see I'm desperate?''

But all Namjoon could hear is silence again, so he decided to be convincing and persistent.

Much more persistent.

''I know what you did in the storage room with Ji-''

Panic.

Absolute panic kicked in.

And Namjoon wasn't given a chance to finish his ominous sounding sentence as June jumped up on both feet, the blanket she had wrapped around now making company to the floor. ''What?! I-I don't know what you're talking about. W-we did nothing, I was just bandaging his wound.''

''You sure about that? Because I believe I heard something being knocked off the-''

''Namjoon I swear to god-''

June was ready to teleport right at the place Namjoon lived in but what happened next had her heartbeat calm down just a bit. It was louder than the panic sending uproar through her veins, Namjoon's voice that is, when he started laughing, producing sounds June has never heard before.

It was quite charming, actually. She could vividly imagine the dimples making an appearance on Namjoon's both cheeks.

''Ah, June, I'd give anything to see your face right now. I was just joking, don't worry.''

Relief fell upon her like a blanket.

''But seriously now, help me.''

''Alright,'' she said, nodding and leaning her whole back against the couch again. ''Tell me what I need to do.''

Almost ecstatically, Namjoon took a deep breath, one much needed for the speed of the words that were about to roll off his tongue.

''I need you to imagine a party. A huge, massive party with balloons and snacks. Music blasting in the background, all of us having fun and enjoying the time spent together, just like we did at the welcome party on campus. You don't have a lot of things to take care of 'cause I've already invited some friends who agreed to take part in both this idea and our theater play as well. You'll be in charge of balloons though and I'll make sure everything's settled on October 13th.''

''W-what? Wait, slow down, you're talking way too fast. There are no subtitles in real life.''

What erupts next is a soft chuckle from the other line.

Then she asked for an explanation. ''Why are we throwing a party? What for?''

''You don't know?''

Even though she couldn't see his face, June knew that his eyes must've widened, along with his eyebrows knitting together in surprise.

At first, she shook her head as an answer to his question, but then quickly parted her lips to give a proper response. ''No, I don't. What's on October 13th?''

''It's Jimin's birthday.''