29 | The Plan

Heaven - Emeli Sande

29 | The Plan

Yikes, I'm sorry this chapter is so short. 

***

If you're wondering about Rosie, I will tell you. I waited for her to talk to me for months. I hoped and prayed she would finally back down and talk to me. Rosie has always been a stubborn person, just like me. She didn't like to be the first person to apologize. It hurt her pride.

It was the 22nd of December when I received my first message from her in a long time. I can remember it well. I was wrapping presents for everybody whilst listening to Christmas music when she sent me a text message. At first, I was so shocked she messaged me that I thought I was in a dream.

But then I pinched myself.

After discovering how real the text was, I was quick to reply. I didn't feel anger towards her. No, I was past that by now. I had gone so long without her craziness I just missed her.

So when she called me, I started crying. Turns out Rosie was feeling the exact same way. She was bawling her eyes out on the other side of the line, sobbing about how much she missed me and much of a jerk she was. For hours we talked about everything. I told her everything about Max and she told me how sorry she was for abruptly ending the call like that and then for ignoring me.

It was three in the morning when I finally finished my call with her. Not that I regretted staying up late though. I finally had my best friend back. Albeit, we still have a few things to discuss but we were getting there.

Now, with graduation tomorrow, I am so happy Rosie is here with me. Her graduation was two days ago so she hopped on the first coach to here. When I saw her in person, I cried. The whole of yesterday was spent with the both of us having fun and talking about Max. Now she realized her mistake, she is going to be more supportive of my decision. I know she isn't happy with it but she doesn't want to lose me.

Yesterday, I introduced Bree and Molly to her. Luckily, they all get along with each other. The girls and I chilled with Netflix and talked about Prom. Just thinking about it makes me want to burst out into fits of laughter.

Of course, Luke snuck alcohol into the school. As you can imagine, he got absolutely wasted. Josh wasn't too bad, partly because he was watching over Molly and her date. Bree and Harry were with each other the whole time, snuggling up with each other and snogging. A lot. And then Luke kept flirting with other girls, drunk, whilst his date had an arm around his. I felt so sorry for the poor girl. She didn't deserve to be disrespected like that.

Lawrence, Josh and I were the only ones without dates. Not that I minded. When the couples went off to dance, we would join up as a three and dance. I didn't care that I didn't have a date. It was fun with the boys.

After prom finished, a few of us went to the after party. Reluctantly, Josh took Luke home. Molly and her date went to the party by themselves; Harry and Bree went with Lawrence and me.

I didn't stay that long though. Prom had taken a lot out of me.

And no, I didn't see Max at prom. I assumed he was either ill that day or he was never in the area I was in. Sometimes, I do wonder whether he went with his football friends or with a date - specifically that girl.

All in all, though, it was an incredible night. I made many memories that I will look back on with a laugh.

***

"So which university did you end up choosing, Molly?" Rosie asks her, flopping down on my bed. Molly, who is spinning in my spinny chair, stops moving.

"Brown."

Rosie's eyebrows raised in shock as if Molly had just told her she was related to the president. Which she could be...you never know.

"What about you Ava?" She turns her attention to me, with a curious expression on her face.

"I didn't apply," I answer truthfully. I didn't apply for many reasons, one being that I didn't know what I wanted to do. The more time I spent volunteering, the more I began to realize how much I enjoyed it. That letter from Karen meant so much to me. The fact I helped somebody out and turned their world upside down, from something dark to light, changes you.

And another reason, that I won't admit aloud, is Max.

They all lift their eyebrows in surprise, obviously not expecting me to do something like that. Their reaction is similar to my parents but it's not as dramatic.

"So what are you planning to do?" Bree asks me.

"Well," I sigh, twirling a strand of my hair around my finger. "I was looking online at volunteering programmes in places like Africa and thought maybe, I could go there."

"That sounds amazing," Molly smiles.

I nod my head, smiling. Helping people in need is something I have to do. I want to be a better person after everything I did with Max and this will not only help me do that but will open up my mind.

We then start to talk about graduation and what we think it will be like. We're all nervous about it because it's our last time in high school.

This past year has been a whirlwind of emotions but I'm glad it happened.

I'm not glad I ended things with Max. I know its so selfish to hope he will get back with me but I know I have to at least try. Then, in the future, I can't say I didn't try.

"Ava, what's the plan for tomorrow then?"

I purse my lips at her question. In all honesty, my plan isn't extravagant or big. I was planning just to go up to him and tell him how I felt. It would be awkward if I did something flashy and big in front of everyone only to be rejected.

"You're going to go up and talk to him aren't you?" Rosie says my answer aloud.

I nod my head.

"Right then," Rosie clucks her tongue. "We need to come up with a better plan. It's time you whooed him off of his feet."

"What are you thinking Rosie?" Bree eyes her with suspicion. Rosie's eyes sparkle with mischief and excitement.

"I'm thinking...we need to go to the grocery store," Rosie answers, cryptically.

The three of us exchange confused looks but get up when she does and follow her. I am curious about what she has planned. 

Word count: 1183

What do you think will be in the next chapter? 

I can't believe we have 2 chapters left after this. It's crazy...