Chapter Seventy One - Declaring War With God

The girl from the Heartlands, Keung Ai, was left in the next village, in the end and the two Princes thought no more of her.

The First Army reached the borders of Kunlun, the first town within the Central Region and prepared to journey around it, to not disturb the lives of the citizens.  However, the two Princes were extended invitations to Shu Jia, the House of a magistrate.  Their estate was close to this town and though they were not one of the major families, it was unwise to offer disrespect.  The two Princes and a small detachment, accepted Shu Jia's hospitality for the evening and rejoined the travelling army the following day.

This occurred several times, greatly slowing the army's march toward the capital, one major House detained them for several days, throwing a banquet in their honour.  Most of these Houses had sons looking to take the exams and become officials in the government or daughters of marriageable age.

Next time, Yang, Yu Long sent his thoughts to the small system, have me reborn as someone not worthy in the eyes of these daughters and their mothers.  He swore he heard the ring chuckle.

"How passes things in the West," Minister Wen enquired as he offered the two Princes a place to sit in his courtyard. 

"Calm times have come in the West," Yu Long said, quietly.  "But scars remain deep.  It will be a great time when the counties can claim to be at truly peace."

"Ah so many worries from both West and South," Wen Biming, first son of Minister Wen lamented.  The Minister indicated that his servant should pour the tea, a cup of which was offered first to Jie Long and second to Yu Long.

"Indeed," The Minister agreed.  "There is much misfortune within Wáng Emperor's reign."

"Yes, Father has suffered much misfortune," Jie Long said, as he sipped the tea.  It was a little weak.  "Lands that chose not to stay fertile for him, enemies that cannot leave weaknesses alone for him, an Empress that could not revere him and commoners that cannot stay alive for him."

"It was once written," Yu Long mentioned, lightly, "that the Living God in the Heartlands promised the Empire blessings and prosperity, so that the Emperor would not seek to swallow their lands whole."

"That is true," Wen Biming smiled, recalling his teachings.  "It is mentioned in the Book of History."

"The Imperial Peace Treaty still holds," the Minister said.  "A great pity the prosperity spoken of has not."

"Perhaps the Living God's blessing have weakened," Jie Long shook his head, his eyes filled with sorrow.

The quick witted Biming refuted this; "Ah but it was said that the prosperity would continue so long as the Emperor served his people well!" He became silent the moment his words were spoken as if realising what had been said aloud.  Fear shot through his features as it did through the Minister's eyes, though the older man retained his calm dignity.  Neither Prince spoke a word, simply drank their tea.

*****

"Six weeks to leave, nearly three months to return," Jie Long lamented as the Capital finally came into sight.

"But not an uninteresting journey," Yu Long mentioned.  The two Princes journeyed in a carriage with a large detachment, the majority of the army had been sent on towards the barracks located outside the City walls. 

"Should we journey straight to the Imperial Palace or pause for a night in the city," Jie Long asked.

"I would prefer to wait and take stock," Yu Long replied.  "But I fear the Emperor will not be pleased to wait."  Jie Long looked over at his brother's slight grimace.  The Emperor had thought it his idea that they join the army and that Yu Long couldn't bear to be separated from this brother who he had grown tall with.  But in fact, it was Yu Long who encouraged Jie Long, for the former wanted to explore the Empire outside of the walls.  Jie Long had thought this an excuse to in truth escape the Emperor's amorous glances.  He shuddered in remembrance.  Still Jie Long could not deny that a thirst had risen in his throat with the thought of being a true warrior, though this experience had tempered his nature and strengthened his current resolve.