(Vilkas) Enemies

Note: This chapter is a bit different than my usual writings, it is based on point of views (P.O.V) of the reader and Vilkas. The Italic letters is the reader's pov, the bold italics are Vilkas's pov and the normal letters is the narrator talking. Also, the story is pretty lengthy. Over 1700 words to be precise. Anyway, Enjoy!
————
The clanking of steel against straw echoed through the stony halls of Gallows Rock. Sometimes it becomes white noise and easy to ignore but at times it would indeed startle me. I complete writing my everyday journal and stand up from the little desk that fortunately arrived with the chamber that was given to me. I pick up the small leather bound journal and flip through the pages. So much writing, I have been doing this since I lost my parents at the hand of bandits. It felt so painful to think of that day, that it seems funny now.
I lost everything on that Tirdas evening, I was waiting for them to come home so that they could eat something I made for them with love and care. But look at the cruel fate.
I was startled out of my imaginations when I feel soft tugs and bites on my bare feet, looking down I was a bit surprised.
"Snowy" I mutter and pick up the snow wolf pup, poor guy had followed me all the way here.
Snowy is an orphaned snow wolf pup that I had fed and cared for, for about a week but he had never followed me back to Gallows Rock. I was happy that way as the commander of this fort will have my head if he found out I was keeping a pup in here. As the commander himself is a bit allergic and mostly hate dogs. No doubt why he is a silverhand leader.
Whichever, Snowy tugs at my wrist with his tiny paws and slightly barks.
"Shush, pup! Do you want both of us in trouble?" I say, looking around nervously. Seems like he is hungry.
I put Snowy down by the side of my bed so that he's out of sight if someone opens my bedroom door. And I put down a small bowl of mashed potatoes and meat, whatever left over of last night. The pup squeaks in joy and starts gobbling down the food.
I smile to myself and stroke his tiny ears, he reminds me of myself. I was hungry, lost and barely in my teens when the Silverhand had found me. Even though they wanted to kill me as they suspected of me being a werewolf, they eventually kept me with them and let me be a warrior by their side.
Loud knocks on my door had startled me, I look up to find a silverhand mercenary standing and staring as if he had never seen a person sit by their bedside
"What is it?" I ask, annoyed
"Lost a shoe or somethin" he said
"Mind your own business" I glared
"Geez, boss wants to see you downstairs" he rolled his eyes and left.
I just remembered, today we were supposed to lay a siege on the headquarters of Companions. I look at Snowy, he had fallen fast asleep after cleaning the bowl. I pick him up gently and hide him underneath my armor, I couldn't risk keeping him around here.
I walk downstairs, finding a group of soldiers roughly forming a circle around the leader. Krev the skinner. As if being an orsimer wasn't intimidating enough, he wore the pelt of an ivory werewolf as his cloak. The fanged mouth of the wolf served as his helmet giving him the ultimate villain look.
"You! Stop skulking in the shadows like a goddamn skeever and stand with these soldiers" Krev barked. Referring to mostly sell swords as 'Soldiers' as if he was general Tulius or something.
"Yes commander" I mutter and stand at the least noticeable spot among the mercenaries.
"We are gonna lay a siege on Jorrvaskr and kill the alpha of these mongrels! Too long have these bastards plagued the common folk and too long have they killed our brothers and sisters!" Krev shouted, followed by a few cheers from the crowd "now get moving lazy troll baits! Bring me the head of Kodlak!" He shouted.
Look at that attitude, if not for his high rank, these mercenaries and including me, wouldn't think twice about shoving a sword through that head of his...
———
This morning I was awakened again from screaming of Farkas, by the time I barely opened my eyes to see what was going on, Farkas was hiding under my bed and screaming like a little boy.
"What happened now?!" I didn't take the matter seriously because I was half sure of what was going on
"S-Sp...Spider!" Farkas cried, pointing at a tiny, hanging spider in the hallway. I laughed loudly "what's rare, people who are afraid of spiders or spiders themselves" I sarcastically said, pointing at the hanging arachnid
"Shut up and kill it!" He shouted
"Fine" I wiped a tear from my eye and picked up the spider by a book, then dropped the little fella outside.
Really, sometimes Farkas is just too much. I barely ever get to sleep and he has to wake me up every other day to get rid of the tiniest of spiders.
However, I was about to head to my room and try to catch some sleep but stopped when Kodlak called for me.
I was a bit worried, I fixed my hair and adjusted my armor before entering his room.
"Did you call me?" I asked, taking a seat near him.
With a rather worried look, he nodded "I did Vilkas, my time has come" Kodlak started, talking in puzzles more than ever "it is time for you to take the role of leading the Companions to glory and stand strong for them" the old man smiled.
I stared at him, why was he talking like that? "Master! Why do talk like that? Is there a problem?!" I almost shouted
"I'm nobody's master Vilkas, I have already told you so. My only regret in death would be, that my spirit was never cleansed... and that I will be a hunter in Hircine's realm and not a proud warrior in Sovngarde" the old man looked at the floor, crossing his arms
"Why do talk about death?... is there..." I couldn't keep up the conversation, a loud noise from the training yard had distracted me. Kodlak was absolutely calm, as if he expected that to happen.
"The rest of us need our help" Kodlak stood up and took his steel sword in hand
"No you cannot go and fight" I insisted
"there is no time boy! Go, protect your shield siblings!" He shouted.
I was unsure of what was going on, I nodded at Kodlak and raced towards the mead hall. As I opened its doors, crumbs of wood began to fall from the roof. "What the..." I looked up and within seconds parts of the wooden roof ripped apart and the silverhand poured in. Cowards, the gates were too tough so they resorted to this?! Rage coursed through me like molten lava through ice.
Then I felt the touch on my shoulder, turning my head I saw Kodlak looking at me "no, fight like a true nord" he said. I looked at my hands that were turning into fur and claw, I quickly averted my mind from the rage and slowly they disappeared.
Kodlak proudly smiled at me "let's kill some of these sell swords shall we" he charged head on towards the pouring Silverhand. I followed him into the fray.
For next good chunk of time, I only remember steel clashing against steel and the screams of death. Until I turned to Kodlak... I couldn't believe what I had seen.
The wisest of Jorrvaskr had been stabbed into the back, killed by one of these Silverhand.
"Kodlak!" I dropped to my knees beside him, the old man looked at me "lead... the... Companions to glory..." he smiled before slowly becoming motionless.
You will pay for this, rage overcame my grief as I recklessly flailed my blade until there was no one to kill around me. I could feel the beast within me cry for vengeance, I try my best to ignore it but I could see the transformation happen as I killed more and more of the Silverhand. I was turning into a wolf, and I hated it...
————
The next thing she remembered was the piercing howl from Jorrvaskr. (Y/n) was fighting the members of Jorrvaskr just outside in the training yard, and then the howl had appeared. All of the Companions who were outside, rushed towards the howl.
But she was sure what was going on, she couldn't stay here any longer. She doesn't care if Krev would have her head or skin her alive, but she would have to escape.
(Y/n) sheathed her blade and looked behind her, after the walls of the city, there was endless forests. She could easily hide. Without wasting anymore time, she ran towards the forests.
Vilkas had begun to slaughter anyone around him, injuring a few members of Companions as well. His bloodthirsty eyes went to the escaping silverhand, he growled and sprinted towards her.
(Y/n) couldn't run too far away and just then Vilkas landed before her, looking at her with rage and growling. (Y/n) took steps back until she tumbled over a tree stump, his presence looming over her. The great claw of his was about to land on her, she closed her eyes and expected the worst. But nothing happened, (y/n) opened her eyes to find Snowy had gotten out of her armor and was now sitting by Vilkas's feet. The warrior's transformation had slowly faded too, as he looked at the snow wolf pup with surprise.
(Y/n) looked at Vilkas "please, if you wish to kill me for avenging your fallen, then do so but don't harm the pup... he has nothing to do with any of this" she said.
Vilkas looked at her then at the happy little pup, he took a deep breath as he was unsure of what to do...