Chapter 2-Hide and Seek

Word Count: 1779

Dawn Turner

I woke up with a throbbing headache.

The second I opened my eyes, I felt a sharp ache making itself guest in my head. It was as though my skull was about to crack open at the intensity of it. I moved carefully in bed because it pained me so much to even breathe. The room felt darker than usual, the atmosphere even darker. I stole a glance at the clock on my nightstand and my jaw dropped when I read '9:12pm'. There is no way it's night time already. And how the hell did I end up in bed?

I brought my hands to my side, slowly sitting up in bed. My brain was shutting down any attempts of me making sense of the strange dream I had. I don't think I have ever experienced a dream so vivid about a creature like that in my life. Despite waking up a few minutes ago, my heart still felt heavy and a frown remained stamped on my face. Today is not my day.

After a few more minutes of sitting in bed being overwhelmed with confusion, I finally stood up and made my way downstairs. The instant I stepped foot in the kitchen, my body froze as my gaze fell on a familiar pan I had seen in my dream. More specifically, the pan I used to defend myself from the scary devil man.

Was it not a dream? But how is this possible? He had wings...he made people fall to the ground and choke without even touching them...he read my mind...

I shook my head to clear the ridiculous thoughts that filled my brain. Just thinking about the man made my heart race again like it did in the dream. I gulped down the bile that was rising in my throat. I'm overreacting. I had to be.

I woke up in my own bed, I'm not hurt in any way, I was probably so exhausted from all the stress that I've been dealing with regarding my future potential job that I just crashed in bed after coming back from the grocery store. There is nothing to worry about at all.lt

The doorbell rang, drawing me out of my thoughts. Who the hell is visiting me at night? I put the pan down and started walking towards the door but the closer I got, the faster my heart was beating.

Something felt so wrong.

If my life was a horror movie, this is the part where the main lead makes the dumbest decision ever; opening the door. This is the part where thousands of viewers at home sit up in their chairs and scream at the lead not to open the door. However in most cases, the lead most definitely opens the door.

I'm the lead.

I placed my hand on the door knob with closed eyes, letting out a shaky breath. You know what; I lived a good 24 years. I'm ready to go.

Actually no I'm not. So why the hell am I even debating opening the door right now? I could feel every cell in my body screaming at me not to open it but I felt like I was a puppet on a string, being forced to follow the puppet masters orders. I don't know what it was, but I couldn't stop myself from twisting the door knob and pulling the door open. I couldn't fight the urge and I'm now regretting it as I continue staring at the last person I would ever want to see standing in front of me.

"Hello dear, would you like your heart served with kidney or extra blood?"

I screamed and slammed the door shut in his face.

This is not happening. This is not real.

My left hand trembled at my side. I jammed my right fist against my mouth to stifle another scream. I couldn't move my legs as they were frozen in place.

"Oh come on love, open up. I just want to kil-play with you! A little fun game won't do any harm, right?" He snickered from behind the closed door. My jaw dropped in a silent scream of terror as I realized that my dream was actually reality. This is definitely real. I wasn't dreaming.