20 - The Legio is Activated

EDEVA

     Audrine has fallen asleep in her corner, exhausted from hours of crying and panicking. I cannot sleep. I sit at the edge of the bed, clutching my dagger, and waiting for someone to come rescue me. Jean should have been back by now. I'm not sure what his plans were, but he mentioned Sebastian and Alekso so he must be going to get their help. Alekso might be a match for even the strongest rival diablarist, but a whole clan of them? Even with Jean and Sebastian at his side, there's no guarantee he and Kazaxon can defeat these Chosen.

     When I cannot sit around any longer I make my way to the entry room and find walk around there, back and forth, pacing frantically. Jean did not lock the door. As far as I know, the cultists do not know I'm here with Audrine. If they come for her though, they will see me, and I will attack as instructed.

     As I consider my options, the door swings open confidently. Confidently? I did not know doors could do that... However, it makes sense, when the man who walks inside radiates haughtiness. He's the man I met earlier with Bishop Lambert who I did not recognize. I don't remember any odd feelings from him before, but now I can't escape them.

     Pride. The demon he made a deal with was certainly a pride demon. The man's ridiculously handsome, with wavy blonde hair, angelic blue eyes, and a charming smile. He also looks completely unafraid as I stand there with the dagger raised in my trembling hand.

     "Put that down," he says, chuckling slightly and holding out his hand. "I am not here to hurt you. Remember how I defended you against Bishop Lambert? You are more important than they realize, and I know that. My name is Matthias, your highness, and if you would just come with me..."

     I narrow my eyes. "Where is Prince Jean? He dragged me here and left."

     "You don't have to play dumb for him, dear. We figured him out when he left with you and came back with the king."

     "The king is here?"

     "Yes, and I am going to bring you to him. Well, his demon to be precise. Kazaxon the Red is currently in power, and we believe seeing you might help him with a vastly important decision he must make."

     Matthias is not to be trusted, that is for sure. I back away from him and keep my dagger raised. "You all wanted me dead because you think I stand in the way of Alekso's glory."

     "That is true, and you do stand in the way, but that is not entirely your fault. Diablerie is a holy undertaking and not for the weak. Alekso, we always thought, was strong. He ruled this country all these years with a heart of stone and a fist of iron. And then you came. Sweet, beautiful, charming, but ultimately quite naive." He gives me that bemused smile. "You refuse to see that some dark things must be done for the greater good. You took that weakness and drove it in to Alekso. Now he is all but useless to us, and to Mercia. But Kazaxon is different. He will never be weak, and even if you are his mate, you can never stop his base instincts. All we need to bring Kazaxon to our cause is the guarantee that he will be able to indulge in his wrath all he wants, and that his mate will be safe."

     "So you'll keep me alive for Kazaxon, and now you want to kill Alekso."

     "Kazaxon needs a stronger body to inhabit. One like mine." He straightens his shoulders, as if presenting himself to me. "So I made him an offer. He is still deciding, and I think you could help him. Now come with me, and you have my word you will be safe."

     I scoff, refusing to lower my weapon. "Your word means nothing to me, Matthias. I will not help you hurt my husband or use my demon for your own ends."