○ FOURTEEN ○

○ FOURTEEN ○

I shouldered my bag as I dodged through the crowd, walking for the front door. It was the end of the day and everyone was in a rush to get home. My shoulder knocked into another's and I didn't get time to apologise before the wave of the crowd pushed me away.

"Shelby!" I heard someone yell.

Several people looked at me but the traffic kept going as I ignored the voice. "Shelby!" the voice yelled again.

I broke through the crowd and made a beeline for the bus stop until my wrist was pulled back. "Hey watch it!" I snapped, turning around.

Matthew stood awkwardly behind me, dropping my wrist quickly. "What?" I asked, crossing my arms.

He blinked at the harshness of my tone. "Shelby, let me explain" he said quickly.

Students glanced at us as we stood in front of the school, face to face. "I don't want your explanations Matthew, I'm done with you" I said, crossing my arms.

Something crossed Matt's face. "Look, I swear I was going to delete them, that was the old me.. the me that didn't have any real friends just people who pretended but I have you now" he said, practically begging.

I frowned at him. "You think I will believe anything you say?! You know what! You almost had me convinced, almost had me convinced that we could be friends.. but alas here we are" I said, taking a step back.

"Shelby, please, you have to believe me.."he trailed off.

"I don't have to do anything" I replied, looking away.

I saw Courtney standing on the steps, looking at us a wide grin on her face. Alana stood next to her who looked guilty. Realization flew through me.
She had used me.. to get what she wanted. If Matt and I were to stop being friends.. she'd get Matthew back.

"Seriously" I said out loud.

Matthew frowned. "Seriously what?" He asked, suddenly angry.

I shook my head. "I just realised that Courtney is using me to get you back.. if we were to fight and never speak again than you would go back to her.. God I'm so dumb!" I snapped.

Matthew glanced over his shoulder and Courtney sobered up. "Matt, I'm so sorry, did you even know what I deleted?" I asked, tilting my head.

"Photos of Courtney and I?" he asked confused.

I sighed. "I'm sorry.. she told me you had photos of her and other girls.. nude photos" I said, straightening.

Matt raised an eyebrow. "And you believed her?" He asked, sounding a little hurt.

I looked away from his eyes, unable to look in them. "She got in my head" I replied.

"I'm sorry, Matt" I said quickly, turning away.

I headed towards the bus stop until he caught my wrist again. "I'll give you a lift" he said, glancing at his car.

Looking over at Courtney, she frowned. "Thank you" I said quickly.

He tilted his head away and turned around, walking towards his car. I knew deep inside he was hurt that I would even think he'd do something like that. But how was I going to explain to him that Courtney got to me because I liked him.

We had just become friends, I had just forgiven him for how our past was. I couldn't just tell him that I like him, that I had deep feelings for him. He probably didn't like me like that, the kiss from the other night was probably fluke thought.