xx. Holliday Lippincott

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

TWENTY HOLLIDAY LIPPINCOTT

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

       HOLLIDAY LIPPINCOTT.

       It is a variation of another name, one that replaces the first with the nickname Holly, sometimes just Hol. It is a name that has been thrown around frequently over the past couple years, ever since she stood in line with the first years to be sorted, at least a head taller than them, with ice-white hair and a gaze a couple notches down from piercing. It used to be mentioned with the fact that she's cousins with Draco Malfoy, or how she'd been accepted into Pansy's gang before she even stepped foot into Hogwarts. Further down the line her name was tied with Harry Potter, how they started going out last school year... Other times it was whispered gossiping, about I heard she used to go to Durmstrang, and apparently her mother broke out from Azkaban.

       Recently, it's been one of the names people whisper; the name hasn't been outlawed in Hogwarts, but it may as well have, along with Potter, Granger, Weasley. There's a fear lying in Hogwarts, that if one of the new teachers overhears a conversation about the four, they'll presume it's the student in support of whatever they're doing, and they'll be thrown into detention for the next week. In Hogsmeade you can find the name Holliday Lippincott stuck on the side of buildings, alongside the words Undesirable Number Four. Sometimes you'll hear students mumble her name when Draco Malfoy walks past them — he always ignores it, it's Pansy that noticeably grits her teeth together, the mention of her best friend bringing to her the same cycle of terrified thoughts. Will they kill her? Will they kill Draco? Harlow? Blaise? Flo? Will they kill me?

       Pansy lies on her bed in her dorm room. She glances across at the bed that's been empty all year, and she feels her heart sink again. Flo isn't here anymore, having finished education at the end of last year. Draco doesn't speak as much to Pansy anymore, since every time they do, the conversation slowly turns into them mentioning Holly. Normally when she's mentioned, Draco stops talking. Pansy knows that he misses her — he just can't show it. She knows he'll get into trouble if he does, so he doesn't talk about her. At all.

       She doesn't know what to do, anymore. Her parents have always talked about Voldemort highly, saying how important he is to the wizarding world, but Pansy doesn't know. She doesn't know what she thinks about any of this, all she knows is that she's terrified that something's going to go wrong and she's going to get killed. She imagines it too much: she'll be sitting, eating her lunch, and she'll picture the school burning down, killing all of them. She'll imagine someone using the Killing Curse on her. She'll picture every way something could go wrong and it terrifies her. At the end of the day, she doesn't give a shit about what this war is about. She just doesn't want to die.