Part Two - Chapter Five

Monday, July 24, 2017

Jack

Morning, Ceci!

Did you ever waitress the breakfast shift? 

Why are breakfast waitresses so beautiful? With their hair up, eggs any style, and endless re-fills?

I was a busboy on Fire Island, NY. 

Loaded fish and supplies from the docks at 5 every morning. Worked straight through the dinner shift to midnight. The restaurant was run by two German navy officers. One in the kitchen. One on the floor. Rigid, profane, semi-violent. But since I worked the longest days, and could eat more of the kitchen German's food than anyone else, he loved me like a knife-wielding mother on the Child Abuse Registry. 

In the morning, after loading supplies from the docks, he would stand over me, angelic, with a plate of french toast, watching me eat, and piling on more. By night, in "the shits" (the cyclone of the dinner rush), he was throwing food, throwing plates, menacing us with 12-inches of sharpened steel, while promising to kill us for everything we did and everything we did not.

In the end, his mother-love conquered all. 

In the Fall, I went back to Oberlin 20 pounds fatter than I have ever been.

Ceci

Waitresses are beautiful because they keep coming back to talk to you and take care of you.

Something blue came in the mail today (sunglasses). Excellent stamp job!

I really like them, by the way.

Thank you!

Jack

Ha! Pretty sure they look better on you than they did on me.

Jack

I saw your picture. Tell me about the show.