Chapter 95

Are you ready for this?
I spent a WHOLE DAY writing this chapter!
Comment and let me know what you think about this!
Love you!
Enjoy!!!

****

It seemed like forever. Forever until I was left alone. Until I no longer heard Isabella crying beside me. No longer heard Felix and Vincent silently discussing what would become of the mafia throughout Christofer's absence. Until I no longer heard the nurses scattering around next to me, trying to make sure I'm fine. 

I stayed limp all day. Unmoving. Eyes closed. 

I tried to connect my thoughts. I tried to remember. I listened. 

I listened to the doctors explain Christofer's condition. 

"We had to perform a surgery," The doctor said. 

"What surgery?" Felix asked wearily. 

"A chest tube insertion"  He answered, confirming my doubts. 

"I don't understand" Isabella stuttered. 

"The procedure is very common for pneumothorax. We inserted a tube between his ribs and into the inner and outer linings of the chest cavity, called pleural space. It is done to allow the lungs to fully expand" The doctor explained. 

"What is the main reason for the procedure? How does it help with the coma? I need full details" Isabella questioned. 

"Chest tubes are used to treat conditions that cause a lung to collapse. Which in our case was the air leaks from inside the lung into the chest. Pneumothorax. And also the buildup of fluid between the layers of tissue that line the lungs and chest cavity, called pleural effusion. We took a sample of the fluids build up in his ribcage and tested him for infections, cancer cells, and protein levels. Luckily all came out negative" He explained, making everyone breath out in relief. 

"Chest tubes drain blood, fluid, or air from around your lungs, heart, or esophagus. The tube is connected to a special canister. Suction is often used to help it drain. We stitched up the area around the tube to make sure it does not shift. He is under serious care. We need to be very attentive and careful or else an improper placement of the tube can cause lung damage" The doctor continued. 

"What about the coma?" Felix asked. 

"The boy's symptoms were very concerning from the beginning. Though we could not act without getting the results of his tests. Bacterial pneumonia which was left untreated way before he was brought to the hospital. It led to serious complications such as hemoptysis and pleural effusion about which we only found out the same day he slipped into the coma. The tube insertion was a must and we're hoping it will help the situation. Once all the blood and fluids drain from his lungs it will bring his oxygen levels closer to normal. That shall be a big progress" 

"Sir, how long will this take? When will he wake up?" Vincent asked. 

"I cannot give you any exact numbers. If everything goes clear and his lungs go back to a semi-normal state it might take a few days. But there are times people stay in a coma for weeks, months" He answered back. 

"Is he-" Isabella cleared her throat. 

"Is he still breathing through the ventilator?" She asked, making my stomach drop. 

"At first it was very hard for him to breathe so we had to put him on a ventilator but after the second night, we tried to change it to an oxygen mask. Luckily, for now, it's working. We should pray that he already manages to breathe on his own. It's a miracle he's still here with us"