11 - Dead man walking

It was now noon, meaning I was finished with school for the day and was now heading to get Jason from school like I did everyday. Imagine my surprise when I got there and have his teacher tell me that someone had already picked him up.

I furiously walked towards my house, calling our landline in the process. My mum wasn't even in town, neither were any of our relatives so who the hell had picked Jason up and where was he at?

''Pick up, pick up, pick up'' I murmured, walking as fast as I could, trying not to get ran over by any cars in the way, a scenario that seemed very possible, considering my eyes were as wide as they could be, but I felt blind. The more no one answered the phone, the more my heart raced and everything around me seemed a big blur.

I would die if something had happened to Jason, especially while I was supposed to be the one responsible for his safety.

Before I started blaming the teachers for letting Jason leave with a possible stranger and thinking about how that possible stranger could potentially be some dangerous drug addict that now held my little brother hostage, someone answered the phone.

''Sup, sis?'' I heard Cole's voice from the other side of the phone. Oh, he's dead. Like, Jon Bellion's song 'Dead Man Walking' is shaking in its boots with how dead my brother is right now.

''Sup, sis?! You come home -again- when you were supposed to be at the other side of the country with no warning whatsoever, pick Jason up without telling me anything before doing so and the only thing you have to say to explain yourself Is 'Sup, sis?' Are you kidding me?'' I yelled at him now standing still, putting a hand over my chest and sighing deeply. I was furious at my brother but at least Jason was okay and in good hands.

Kind of.

''Calm down, my flight got canceled and I decided to stay with you guys for today. When I came home I remembered it was time to pick Jay up from school, so I went and surprised him'' he calmly explained as if it was obvious.

''Just- warn me next time you decide to do something like this, okay? I'm coming home, we'll talk then'' I said and hang up, putting my phone in my pocket.

I loved my brother but sometimes he just acted stupidly. Real stupid.

On one hand, It felt good to know I wouldn't be entirely alone with Jay tonight, you know because I'm paranoid and would probably spend the entire night with a rolling pin in hand, guarding the house.

On the other hand, though, it would be a little harder to get out of the house to meet Aiden with Cole home. I could find some sort of an excuse to get out, but would he believe me?

Oh, sweet fudge, how did this happen.

I got home and practically ran towards Jason, hugging him as if my life depended on it. ''Eve'' he chocked out ''Eve you're kind of squeezing me here'' he continued and I finally let go, realizing I could actually choke him in an attempt to hug him.

''Do I have to make you think I got kidnapped to get a hug too?'' Cole said from the edge of the kitchen counter on which he was leaning against. ''Haha, very funny'' I said but walked up to him to give him a hug as well.

''How have you been doing lately? We didn't exactly get a chance to talk with everything that happened'' he said, nodding towards Aiden's house and rolling his eyes slightly.

''I've been... good. Yeah'' I said with a slight nod, putting my hands in my pockets and looking around. For the sake of being honest, it was a little awkward- being alone with my brother after such a long time. We were okay when being with a lot of people, but suddenly it felt like we had nothing to talk about when we were alone.