Chapter Twenty-Two

"You heard it," She observed, her wounded hand slung behind her back in an awkward position, attempting to hide it to the best of her ability. "How can we both hear it?" 

The look on Strange's face seemed to speak louder volumes than his voice ever could. He didn't know. He had no answer for her. Just as confused as he had been when Mantis told him, he was even more confused now. How could a Titan hear a song from Earth without ever having listened to it? 

The common question.

An easy question to answer, probably.

She was a Titan, said she'd visited Earth before--or slightly alluded to doing it--and had already previously mocked how little those from Earth understand about the rest of the galaxy. Had she already listened to Beethoven's song because of the technology she had located throughout her home? It was likely. And it was a start.

"Tell me," Strange began, hands clasping behind his back. He stood in such a way that made him seem more intelligent than her; looked to be that of a professor ready to lecture a class. "Did you really ever visit Earth?"

She nodded.

Said nothing.

"For what reasons?" 

Silence.

Of course there was silence. He was asking the galaxy's savior to come up with a reason she visited Earth. How silly could he have been? Her reasons didn't matter. Just the act itself spoke loudly enough for her. 

"You hear it in a different key than I do," He commented, "Do you know why?" 

"Mantis told me it was something short of a major," She reiterated Mantis' previous words, "I didn't know what that meant. I could only assume it was a key in music. Titan has never been a stranger to music, but we were always more so in love with our technology than melodies." 

Suddenly, something dawned on Strange.

Whatever case he'd been trying to make previously with the "soul-songs" hypothesis suddenly seemed incredibly ridiculous. He was not in love with (Y/N). He barely knew her enough to like her in such a way. So instead of it being relative to love or emotions, maybe it was just because of her powers. This hypothesis seemed a little more likely seeing as though her powers killed the beast everyone said could not be killed. Maybe she was just hearing whatever was in his head and was trying to replicate it to match her persona so that way she didn't feel as alone as she looked. 

It wasn't love.

It wasn't a "soul-song." 

It was her body's way of healing itself, mending her wounds the way a pianist would mend notes; find the corresponding melodies. Whether human or not, the body can only handle so many things happening to it before it decides it is time to heal completely. 

Maybe that was the point of the sonata.

To heal.

"Have you ever heard a piano?" He asked, curious now.

She shrugged, "My father used to tell me stories of instruments existing like that somewhere else in our cosmos. Titan was more so in love with harpsichords and string instruments. But I've never heard an actual piano." 

"The high-pitched notes you hear in your head?" 

She nodded.

"That's a piano."

A wave of contentment buried her alive.

She couldn't understand for the life of her why she was able to hear the song in Strange's head but she was so grateful for it. 

Closing her eyes, (Y/N) let her wounded hand fall limp at her side. She could hear the sonata get louder with each passing second but she did not want to stop conversation.

"My father used to tell me you all used this for funerals and sad events," She smiled warmly to herself, "Of course he would tell me such things to make sure I kept falling in love with our harpsichords and string instruments, but I always had the slightest curiosity as to what a piano could even sound like." 

It was so strange.

She was a weapon in every way, shape, and form.

She could kill at an instant.

But had never known her full potential until the man that slaughtered her people came back. 

And here she was.

Standing beside a mystic with a melody stuck in her head that didn't make any sense to her.