Stay hopeful- 88

Bakugou pov
I decided at that point it'd be best for me to step out; they needed their space. It would've been rude of me to be involved in such a personal matter, with someone I didn't really know. So I got up and told them I'd just head to Red's room and wait until they were done.

Feeling deflated, I walked up the stairs slowly. It made me so sad to see another bad thing dumbed on Red, he didn't deserve it. I opened the door, taking in the room my boyfriend grew up in. It was small, and dark, with one window and a semi-large bed tucked away in the corner. The walls were dark blue, surprising since that clearly wasn't his favourite colour. But despite that, accents of red were dotted around, the pillows, a 'Crimson Riot' poster, the lampshade. It felt very different from his dorm, almost claustrophobic despite being similar sizes. I walked over to a surprisingly large bookshelf, with every row filled up. I never knew he liked to read, let alone owned so many books. I guess people change as they grow up, but still. Running my fingers across their spines, I read the titles to see he was interested in fantasy. On a lower shelf was a photo album which I hesitantly grabbed, I didn't want to be snooping but I needed something to fill the boredom. I took the album to the bed and sat down, opening it whilst it rested on my lap. The first page was a picture of Kaida, in a hospital bed, holding a hairless, new born baby. I smiled, I had never seen much old photos of Red before. To the side of Kaida was Haru, who looked worn out whilst giving the camera a thumbs up. Turning the page, I watched Red grow up by a couple or so years, with the next picture of him posing with his mum. His black hair was long, hanging over his eyes. They both seemed happy enough, a complete contrast with what was happening downstairs. As I began flicking through, I watched Red age, but something troubled me. As the album went on, I began to notice the lack of smiling from Red. At first it was subtle, but the further and further I got, the more down he looked. It was his twelfth birthday party, and it was just him and his parents; no friends or extra family. At every seat on the table were plates, all filled with food, but no one to eat them. Red's face explained it all, it seemed as if he had just been crying. I ran my fingers across the page, already feeling mad about a situation that happened years ago. As I reached the final filled page, it was a photo of Red in his UA uniform, his hair finally the one I recognised today. His smile was low, but I knew that the photo represented so much more, a new beginning. After that picture, the next pages were empty, causing me to have an idea. I didn't think Red would mind, so I grabbed the book and placed it in my suitcase. I wanted to fill the album with new photos, to show how happy he was at UA. It also made me want a book, just so I'd never forgot these times.

As I zipped up the case, I heard heavy steps coming from the stairs, so I quickly darted to the bed, prepared for the worst. Red walked in, his expression hard to read. Sighing, he sat down next to me, placing his hand on my thigh. After some silence, I finally spoke. "So?" I was thankful to see that he wasn't crying.
"I don't- fully understand it, like I don't know much about cancer, but-" he paused, thinking, "she said it's serious, and the doctors said that she could possibly, you know- die, but if she sticks to her medication and check-ups then she could be good." I nodded, smiling to keep him hopeful. "Apparently if she makes it through the next four or so years, she should make a full recovery." He gave me a small smile, so I kissed him gently on the lips.
"Should I go down and speak to them?" I asked, pulling away.
"Nah, my mum just wants some rest for now, we should probably do the same." He fell back onto the mattress. "And the thing is, my dad doesn't work, she does, so it's going to get pretty difficult around here." I frowned at him. It was strange, the anger I had to Kaida almost instantly washed away, just an overall sadness for not only her situation but for the one she put Red in. He didn't deserve it.
"Well all we can do is to stay hopeful." I said, falling down next to him. He once again captured my lips with his, soft and gentle.
"I know, and that's what we'll do. Tomorrow we're going to head into the city, I think there's a fair on, the one they do every year."
"Sounds fun." I turned on my side to him, watching him twirl his hair with his fingers. I didn't like how there was nothing I could do, no one to confront or argue with, but I knew as long as we stayed positive, it'd all be alright; hopefully.