09: The Aftermath

When I woke up I realized I was still in my clothes from the date yesterday, and my makeup had smudged all over my face.  I was in no mood of going to school, but it was a Monday and I didn't have much choice.  I walked into my bathroom and take a hot steaming shower to clean up and try to relax.  

When I walk out, wrapped in my towel, I looked myself in the mirror.  Surprisingly, I didn't look half as bad as I was expecting to.  I was exhausted the day before so I got a pretty long, deep sleep, and my skin looked healthy.  My moss green eyes were a bit puffier than usual, but everything else was pretty much normal.  I dried my hair and pulled it up at the top of my head.  I wore my usual school uniform and combat boots, and took a look at myself again.  

Even though I dressed exactly the same as I always do, I felt like I looked more bare than I ever did.  Maybe it was because of Zayden the day before, but it made me want to cover myself up.  To hide under layers and layers of clothes.  

I shook my head and told myself, you're being ridiculous.

I didn't want to make Zayden ruin my life.  Just because he was a jerk doesn't mean I should be scared.  I took a deep breath and went to my dining room to eat breakfast.

My brothers were already eating, and the moment I walked in they stopped their conversation.

"Way to be obvious," I said, plopping into my usual chair.

Auden and Alec seemed awkward as they ate breakfast silently.  I was quiet myself as I helped myself to a chocolate waffle.  The only sound that filled the dining room was the sound of our mouths munching and the occasional maid taking away a plate.

Just then my mom walked in.  "Good morning, my beautiful children."

She sat beside me and grabbed a muffin.  "So how was your date last night?" 

The images of Zayden pushing me onto the bed forcefully flood into my mind.  My brothers tensed immediately, but my mom doesn't seem to notice.  She sent me a sweet smile, and I forced a smile back.  A fake smile I have mastered over the years.

"Uhm...it wasn't that great.  He wasn't exactly who I thought he was."  

My mom gave me a sympathetic smile and rubbed my arm.  "Well, that happens.  I'm really sorry."

I shook my head dismissively.  "It doesn't matter."

I noticed my brothers visibly relaxed because I hadn't snitched on them.  But still, it didn't mean I forgave them.  It was far from it.

When I walked over to my limo, Henry was leaning against the car.

"Cassandra, what happened last night?" He asked me before I could get in the car.

I tried acting oblivious.  "What do you mean?"

Henry wasn't buying it.  "You left with a dark-haired boy, and you came back crying, in a different car, with a blonde boy.  Do you mind explaining?"

"Uh...the boy I left with just uh, ditched me.  And I was really upset and the other boy picked me up."

Henry lifted an eyebrow.  "Correct me if I am wrong, miss, but I have known you very long, and I know for a fact that you do not cry very often.  I wouldn't expect you to cry over a date who left you."

I forced a laugh.  "Well, I am a teenager."

Henry still didn't look convinced.  "If you want to talk about it, you can come to me."

I smiled. "Oh, I'm sure I'll be fine.  A boy leaving me isn't a big deal."

Henry shrugged and opened the car door for me.  I thanked him and got in the car.  I hoped no one would bring up what happened yesterday again. I didn't know how long I could keep up my acting until I finally couldn't stand the memories of yesterday.