Chapter Five

George sat alone at the breakfast table when I strode into the room. I made straight for the buffet of food on the sideboard, my stomach reminding me that food was an essential part of living. "Where have you been at this time of the morning?" he asked, sending a look at the clock. He tugged at his cravat, which was far too elegant for a country morning.

"I am certain Phaeton hasn't had a proper run since I left." After I filled my plate, I then took a seat opposite him. I reached for the coffee pot, having formed an intense fondness for the drink while traveling. "It was good to get out and see the countryside. Just the way to start the day, you know."

"If you miss it so much, you should stop this traveling nonsense."

"What do you have against my experiencing the sights of Europe?" It was hard to be properly angry with a plate of food tempting you, but I was willing to give it as good a try as possible. "Honestly, George! This is the second time you have been negative about my taking a Grand Tour. Are you jealous you didn't get one?"

George gave a scoff. "Hardly." He sipped his coffee and set it down. "But, don't you think it was irresponsible to go running off as you did? To leave the family and seek your own pleasure?"

"Irresponsible, how?" I spread cherry preserve on my toast and took a moment to savor it. "I have no estate to look after like you do, and no family to provide for. What else was I supposed to do with my inheritance? Leave it sitting there, doing nothing but accumulating interest, as everyone does?"

"You should do something useful, not racketing around foreign countries."

"Meeting new people can be useful. Just think, I now know many more people than I did over a year ago. Who knows when such connections might be useful in the future? One never knows when one might need the ear of a diplomat, or the advice of an Italian duke, or the pleasant conversation of a French lady."

"I can think of no situation that could call for needing any of those connections to solve it."

I chuckled as I picked up my fork. "That is because you lack imagination, George." I paused the conversation and dug into my breakfast. My brother didn't say anything as I ate, and when I happened to glance up, I saw that he was watching me. I swallowed my bite and asked, "Is there something wrong, George? It's far too early to have such a serious look on your face."

"I'm just wondering what you plan to do about Phoebe. She is waiting for you to speak, Luke."

That I had already resolved the issue made me grin. "Not to worry, brother of mine. It has been handled, and I have spoken to her. I came across Phoebe and her friend, Miss Darkin, by the pond."

Relief filled my brother's face, and he rose to hold his hand out. "Then, may I wish you joy?"

"I did not say I was marrying Phoebe Ramsey."

Shocked, George collapsed back into his seat, his hand falling to his side. "You are not serious. How could you be so rebellious, Lucas? Did you not understand what this meant to Father? To our mother? To the Ramsey family? They all want this union to take place. Are you only concerned about your own happiness?"

"You and Father made yourselves clear last night." I finished my coffee and rose from the chair. "However, this is a matter for Phoebe and myself to discuss. We came to an agreement. I am sorry it was not the agreement you were hoping for, but there it is. I don't want to hear another word of the matter."

Turning on my heel, I left the room. I had no doubt George would have continued with his older brother mentality and escaping him was the only way to avoid any more scolding on the subject. I had no intention of spending the morning listening to him go on about how I had just failed the family.