Chapter 32 - Nigel Quintin Ulysses

Chapter 32
Nigel Quintin Ulysses

My parents came for a few days and they left again almost immediately. There are times that I wish they could just be the normal parents, the ones that almost everyone has. I want to talk to my mother and ask how she likes to keep the receipts of the things she buys and why she never throws them away, and I want to talk to my father about basketball and how he became an MVP when he was in high school. The trophy is still inside their room, placed on my mom's desk table because he always wants her to see that she married an athletic and amazing guy. My mother has always been proud of that and she has always admired dad. They stayed home and we talked for hours, catching up on the things we've missed together. We ate ice cream, played solitaire, and my dad even went as far to have a basketball game with me. It turns out that he's still good, and my mom was watching us play. This was what I needed – a distraction.

It's been days since Marcus went to the Cornerstone Pack to make a deal with them and I'd say that my days were very lonely. I miss him, like a lot. My heart aches every time I think of him, and how I miss his touch. I miss his voice, and his body on mine. I miss his lips. I think about his lips all the time and how wonderful it is to be placed on mine. Have I really turned into a beast-loving human? I would have never thought that I'd be with a werewolf. Hell, I didn't even think that they ever existed. But somehow I got caught up in this and I ended up having a werewolf boyfriend.

There are werewolf warriors watching me just to keep me safe. Trust me, I really don't mind. But sometimes they get under my skin. Like, do they have to watch me all the time? Ever since Marcus and I's relationship became public in the werewolf world, and ever since I got anointed as the first Guardian of the Mortals – which I don't really know how that stuff works, they have been keeping watch on me. I know that this is what Marcus wants, and if that's what he wants, then so be it. I can't have him worry about me much when he's not supposed to be.

When I spent time with the Alpha's mate, Kieran, he told me that it's never okay for a werewolf to have a human mate, as it's considered dangerous and even deadly. He told me a story about a werewolf who had a human mate, and it didn't end well for both ends – humans and werewolves. Hunters were born. They are born to hunt and give nightmares to the werewolves – they are to kill them mercilessly. So that's why the first generation of Elders decided to consider a werewolf having a human mate unacceptable. They forbid it. As Kieran told me that, he just shook his head and told me that a werewolf would never abandon his mate, regardless of who or what it is. It can't be stopped. Even though the Elders are werewolves, they have a different thinking than the regular ones. The only reason I'm not being given a hard time is because of the order of the Alpha and the Marcus.

As I saunter my way towards the dining area of the pack house, where a lot of people are already seated as they eat their meals, almost everyone looks at me. They are still not used to having a human around them. I can't blame them, though.

Kieran immediately grabs my hand without uttering a words and I hear a low growl, and it comes from the Alpha himself. I hang my head down and try to pry hand away from Kieran's grasp, but he holds on tighter until we're seated on their table. He puts a roasted chicken in front of me with carrots on the side and gives me a small smile as he motions for me to eat. I purse my lips. On the table, it's only me, Kieran, the Alpha, Perry, and Dave.

"Have... have you... heard any news about Marcus?" I ask hesitantly as I lower my gaze down on the roasted chicken in front of me, grabbing the fork and dabbing it. I guess it's just to help me keep my heart from beating loudly. I haven't talked to Marcus yet, and the last time we spoke was before he left. "I miss him... terribly." I really do.