5

Danny woke up early like he did every morning, but this time he found he had turned visible in his sleep. Only barely, but enough for Alfred to notice and put a blanket over him. It was his own fault, he supposed, but he was still trying to preserve the illusion that he wasn't there.

He neatly folded the blanket and put it in the nearest linen closet. He walked into the kitchen. He must've used up too much energy from cleaning the house, flying would waste what he needed to stay invisible. The kettle was where it always was, and he filled it with water.

"Trying to be helpful?" Alfred asked. Danny lowered the kettle gently onto the stovetop and turned to the man. Alfred couldn't see him, but he somehow always knew he was there. "You are a guest in this house, you don't have to do anything."

"I want to," his voice came out stronger than he expected, but he stood his ground. He invisibility lit the stove, just to spite the man.

"Very well, but you are a child of this house, and you will be treated as such," Alfred said sternly, "every child that comes into this house plays the piano, practices the sword, and attends parties."

"But I'm dead," Danny deadpanned without thinking.

"You mightn't be able to attend parties, but you bloody hell will learn the etiquette."

"I've attended parties before, and I know how to use a sword." It was too late now to stay silent, so he figured, why not?

"When's the last time?" Alfred challenged.

"Christmas; I organized, hosted, and attended the Christmas party... the one for ghosts, I mean. I am occasionally challenged to a duel with old friends, I certainly know how to-" He froze mid sentence. Why was he telling him this? "I will learn how to play the piano," Danny said tersely. Alfred sighed.

"Focus on the piano for now. You're grounded until you can play at least one classical piece worthy of a haunted house."

"Grounded?!" Danny lost hold of his invisibility for a moment. The snowy haired boy blinked out of existence. "From doing work?"

"I get paid to clean a house that doesn't get messy. I'm quite alright to manage it alone," Alfred said with authority. Danny huffed to himself.

"Fine... but I'm not ... going to start... talking..." Danny trailed off as he realized what, exactly, he had been doing. "Just don't tell anyone, Kay? I'm not supposed to let people know I'm here."

"Piano lessons will start at noon."

"... yessir."