7

October 31st came before anyone was ready. When Alfred woke up the house exterior was covered in decorations for the holiday courtesy of the resident ghost. Danny was a bit alarmed by how low his energy reserves were, but because it was a Supernatural holiday, he had a plan: Let himself be seen.

All Hallows' eve is the only time ghosts are allowed to roam the human realm without a license. He only had a simple haunting permit, and he could only apply for a free reign spirit license after 10 years.

He held off being seen for as long as possible, but he was finally caught when he walked into the kitchen during tea time. It was a stupid mistake, and he forced himself not to turn invisible when they made eye contact.

"Happy Halloween," he said awkwardly, searching for the words to break the butlers stare.

"This is a change for you," Alfred noted, gesturing for him to sit down.

"It's the only time of the year ghosts are allowed to be seen by humans," Danny explained, "I figured it was a good way to conserve energy." He sat awkwardly across from the man.

"Do you drink tea?" Danny looked at the teapot in idle mulling.

"I haven't drank tea since I was alive, I think I used to have it with an obnoxious amount of sugar." Alfred laughed at that, taking it as permission to pour a second cup.

"So how does this haunting stuff work?" Alfred asked.

"Well, after ten years haunting,  you can apply for a free roaming license. I hear it's very hard to pass, like, the only people who did just decided to become gods. That was over, like, a billion years ago, so it's not like I actually have a chance." Danny dumped three heaping spoonfuls of sugar into his cup as he spoke.

"What are you trying to pass?" Alfred eyed his cup in amusement.

"A test. I think it takes a week to write or something, and if you fail you have to wait another ten years, so nobody really bothers with it much," Danny said with a grin.

"You seem confident," Alfred noted.

"Well, I think I know quite a lot about human culture, and I've heard that's a large part of the test."

"How old are you?"

"Almost two, why?"

"Just curious..." Alfred said, "what's your name?" Danny's eyes widened.

"I'm so sorry, I completely forgot to introduce myself! This is so embarrassing," Danny rambled, "of course, I know your name, it's Alfred, but my name, I feel stupid now; my name is Danny."