Chapter 12: Jericho

The man flinched. He raised one arm, the other arm supporting the person on his back. The woman who was searching through the trash climbed out, moving defensively beside the man.

"Easy..." He said slowly. "We're just searching for shelter from the rain..." The woman's eyes lit up in recognition as she noticed Connor's face. You backed away with Connor at your side, planning to run for it when you had the chance.

"Wait!!" The woman said quickly. You hurriedly rose to your feet, Connor already preparing to sprint. "Stop, we're deviants too!!"

You froze. Connor's hand was on your back. No one moved. You turned slowly to face the woman. She took the flashlight from the mans hand. She shone it at her face; An LED dimly flashing red on her temple. How had you not noticed it before? She tossed the flashlight back to the man, and he caught it in one hand.

"You're the RK800 that escaped, aren't you?" She said quietly, not as a question. She continued. "I recognized you the moment I saw your face. They are putting posters up of you all around the city."

You stood slightly defensively in front of Connor. The gun was still clasped in your hand. Connor put his hand on your shoulder. He analyzed the woman's face.

"It's okay..." He said to you. "She's an android; An AV500. A commercial android designed for customer service." She appeared surprised at Connor's high amount of knowledge. He continued. "You were reported missing a month ago. You were registered with the name Rebecca." You lowered your gun.

"It's no wonder Cyberlife is searching for you," She responded. "Yes, my name is Rebecca. But I prefer Bec." She gestured in a sweeping motion to the man beside her, and the figure he carried on his shoulder.

"This is Nox. You don't need to analyze him, he's an AC700. He's my partner..." Nox raised his hand in greeting. He moved closer.

"You don't need to be scared," He said, in response to your hands still closed around the gun. "We thought you were humans... we didn't want to get caught. Especially..." He hesitated. "Especially not with Jade, the way she is now." He nodded his head towards the figure he carried on his shoulders. You finally noticed her. She was an android like the others. The skin was deactivated around the left side of her face and head. Blue blood stained her chest, seeping through her clothing. You would think she was completely deactivated, if not for the steady rising and falling of her chest. Bec looked at her sadly. She forced her face back to yours.

"They came after us. Jade... she was never a fast one. They attacked her quickly. We... We tried to get away, as fast as possible..." She sat down against the wall of the alleyway. "It's getting desperate. She's losing thyrium fast. Nox and I have been taking turns transplanting our thyrium to her, but it's not enough now."

The gun had been returned to your pocket now. Connor's hand was still on your shoulder, but not defensively; More in a comforting way. He could sense your disturbance at the sight of the damaged android.

"Let me look at her," You heard yourself say. What were you saying? The other androids looked surprised. You continued without thinking. "I studied androids for a long time; I might be able to help stop the flow of blood." You took the pack off your back, pulling out a small first aid kit, which you had filled with things that may help you or Connor. Bec met Connor's gaze, and he nodded reassuringly.

"[F/N] helped me once before; it seems like a long time ago now... She can help Jade too."

---

Jade was in a bad state of disrepair. Her wounds had been left for a long time untreated. You weren't sure if the synthetic skin would ever properly heal. You did manage to stitch together the synthetic skin on her head, which was now dysfunctional. You stretched it so it covered the deactivated part of her scalp. After removing her jacket, you analyzed the crudely stitched wound that stretched across her chest, blue blood oozing slowly from it. You took out the original stitches and fixed it with a neater line of stitches. Once the wounds were properly stitched up, and the synthetic skin was stretched over them, you opened your backpack again and pulled out a bottle filled with Thyrium 310. You had others in the bag, bottles that you brought in case of an emergency for Connor's sake. And this was an emergency; this android needed your help. You leaned her on your shoulder slightly and gently dripped the liquid into her mouth. You let her drain the whole bottle. You were satisfied when the red LED on her temple turned amber and then to blue. She went into rest mode. You leaned Jade against the wall of the alley. You were unaware of your audience, until that moment, even as they held the flashlight for you. You turned to look at Nox, Bec, and Connor again.