Chapter 24

(Y/n)'s POV

~The next day~

The three of us headed to the ancient ruins just outside the city. The others would come after school was over so we had almost the whole day to ourselves, free from the rest of society.

"Let's go," Sorey said excitedly while pulling the two of us inside.

I looked around in fascination. I've always heard rumours of ruins that had remained after thousands of years but this was incredible. It was as if we had entered an entirely different world.

"Amazing, isn't it?" Mikleo asked while smiling.
"Yeah, was this your childhood? Playing around in places like this?"
"Yeah, basically. It was pretty fun."

The large interior of the ruin was covered in moss and vines. Surprisingly, none of it seemed to crumble or decay from age. It seemed sturdy and powerful.

The ceiling was at least two storeys above our heads. There was a magical glow to the mysterious place, giving it a feeling of enchantment and indulgence. I couldn't help but smile as we walked around.

Suddenly, the whole place began to shake, almost as if an earthquake had hit. I looked over at the boys, who seemed to be in some sort of friendly argument.

"Sorey, couldn't you have been more careful?! Who knows what'll happen now!" Mikleo yelled above all the noise.
"Sorry! I didn't mean to trigger a trap! It was just an accident!"
"Come on, let's get out of here!"

Mikleo grabbed my hand and ran, dragging me through all the debris and rubble that had fallen. Sorey took the lead, turning and twisting through the corridors.

Arrows and other projectiles were shot at us as we ran down the winding halls and pathways. Mikleo used his ice to freeze them before they could pierce our skin.

Despite the urgent situation we were in, the two boys were smiling and their eyes held a challenge. They seemed to glow with happiness and nostalgic memories.

They've probably done this quite a lot to be able to assess the situation and escape without much thought. I could only follow them as we dodged all the traps and weapons.

"(Y/n), I think we need some of your power," Sorey exclaimed while attempting to break down what looked to be an extremely thick wall.
"B-but I can't control it yet. I-it won't work!"
"Just trust yourself!" Mikleo yelled.

We looked behind, only to see a giant dirt ball rolling towards us. I quickly turned to the wall again and looked for some kind of clue.

It had lots of different engravings and symbols but most of it, I couldn't exactly understand. From the looks of it, it seemed as if it was indicating an uncontrollable power that was frighteningly similar to mine.

Mikleo put up a wall of ice to block the incoming ball but it wouldn't hold for long. The boys' expression was all I needed to make me push my fears aside.

I gathered power from the darkness and hesitantly aimed it at the wall. A strong blast of dark shadowy creatures came out and shot straight at the wall's centre.

We watched in anticipation as it collided. The wall cracked but it wasn't enough. This time, I used the power of light combined with darkness. Without a second thought, I shot it.

The wall broke apart. We didn't waste any time in running towards the exit. The ball chased us outside before Mikleo pushed me to the side, letting the ball roll over the edge of the cliff.

I sighed in relief before blushing. Mikleo was on top of me and he was staring straight into my eyes. A slight blush had formed on his cheeks.

I waited nervously for him to get off but he didn't. Instead, he leaned down to kiss me. I almost gasped in surprise but slowly kissed back, feeling the fast beating of my heart.

We were both panting by the time we pulled apart, mostly due to all the running from before. I couldn't look him in the eyes after, too embarrassed to do anything.

He just smiled before standing up. I took the hand he offered and stood up. We looked around for Sorey but he was nowhere to be found.

"Sorey!" Mikleo called out.
"I'm right here, geez. I'm not dead," he replied while dusting the dirt off his clothes.
"*sigh* You should've said something."
"Well, I couldn't exactly do that while you two were doing all the kissing, now could I?"

Mikleo and I immediately looked away. I felt my cheeks turn the darkest shade of red as my heartbeat went faster and faster.

"A-anyway, should we go get the others?" Mikleo asked, his voice breaking the awkward silence.
"Sure," Sorey answered.

I gratefully followed the two back, glad to be able to finally breathe. Unexpectedly, Mikleo turned back and winked at me. I just glared at him, and tried to hide my red cheeks.

I could hear his laugh as we made our way back to the entrance. Everyone was already there waiting for us. Alisha ran up to me and gave me a tight hug.

"Hey (Y/n), your face is all red. Are you sick?" she asked worriedly.
"Pfft, sick? Alisha, you don't know a thing about this. She's just embarrassed...isn't that right, (Y/n)?" Rose asked, smirking.
"W-what? No..."
"Yeah, you are. So what? What did Mikleo do? Huh?"

I backed away from her until I bumped into someone. I quickly turned around and apologised. A second later, a hand was ruffling my hair. I looked up, only to realise that it was Yuma.

"Yo (Y/n)," he greeted happily.
"Hey."

Dezel was here too, along with Edna and Zaveid. I almost stumbled from the force of Dezel's pat on my back. Geez, did he not know how to be gentle?!

"Oi!"

But they simply laughed. I let out a sigh before smiling. I had to admit, it was better than Rose's teasing.