*9*

Master Oakenshield, Gandalf, Bilbo, Adar, Balin and I all gather on the balcony as the sun finally sets, watching as Elrond begins to read the map. 

Yes, I've reverted back to calling Thorin that- though he doesn't know that yet. I haven't spoken to him once since the Edea incident, and I can tell it's starting to bother him by the fleeting looks he sends me. 

I quietly sit on the cold railing of the large hallway-like balcony, watching the others silently.

"These runes were written on a Midsummer's Eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago. It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield; the same moon shines upon us tonight," Adar says as the moon runes on the map appear. They glow brightly, but off in the corner, appears another set of moon runes. 

These runes appear in red, glowing dangerously in warning. They catch my eye as Adar reads them silently before looking over to me with a slightly worried look, the others all following his gaze. "Ambrosia, come here," He requests with a quiet voice, barely above a whisper. Pushing off of the railing, I slowly walk beside him, Gandalf following. 
Looking down at the map, I slowly read the red runes, my eyes widening in slight worry.

'The monster in which haunts all dreams will awaken not long after the beast of Erebor, and all hell will break lose. But this time, the monster will become unstoppable. The leash that once was drawn tightly around her neck, will grow tighter and become a part of her. There will be no more freedom for her.'

Looking over at Adar and Gandalf, I can see they mirror my expression. Horror, worry, and slight fear.

Turning back to the balcony, I straighten my stance and make my expression plain again, saying, "Continue reading the other runes."

But before Elrond can continue, Thorin interrupts. "What did it say?" He demands, seemingly not liking the idea of not knowing what is happening.

Looking over my shoulder, towards him, I reply in a cold, and deadly serious voice, "That is none of your concern, Master Oakenshield."

He seems furious for a moment before he realizes what I've just called him. His eyes show a flash of hurt and regret- catching me by surprise. How could a Dwarf like him ever be pained by what I had said? It's not likely that our truce still stands, so why would it matter? 
But, I decide to ignore it, instead placing on my hood again and turning towards the balcony. My eyes meet with that of Gandalf, Balin, and Bilbo's as I turn, and I can see they all have clear disappointment on their faces. Balin shakes his head at me and Thorin's behavior. None of them like what has become of Thorin and I's 2 day agreement, but it can't be helped. 

I had known that perhaps it only meant we would be less hostile towards each other, but I had hoped it had also meant more trust between each other. I suppose I was wrong. 

"These runes were written on a Midsummer's Eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago. It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield; the same moon shines upon us tonight," Adar re states.

"Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole," He translates, causing me to notice that the runes I had read with him had been in English, not in a long forgotten language. 

Judging by the clouds though, it won't be long before the runes are gone. 
My mind quickly shies away from the current conversation as I begin to worry about the runes I read. 

I can hear the others continuing to discuss the moon runes, but all I can think about is my uncertain fate. 
Though I am certain the others will make it through this journey quite alright, I have no idea how I will fair. But, judging by those runes, I will not be leaving this journey in my right mind. 
Seating myself on the stone railing once again, I swing my legs over the edge, facing the outside world. I look upwards, towards the glowing, silver moon, praying silently to whomever is watching over us, that the fate of the company is in good hands.