|46| brothers

The following Monday at school I exit the classroom to the sound of the bell, then make my way to lunch. I seat myself next to Mina at our table in the outdoor cafeteria.

"Saturday was so fun Lilo. Carlos and I had the best time, tell Chrys we said thanks." She plants a fry in her mouth and chops joyfully.

"Saturday was... something alright. Where is Carlos anyway?"

"He went back to Spain to reunite with his family. Said he won't be back until 2022, but hey if I'm still single, I'll pick up his call."

I laugh at Mina's persistence.

"Hey I forgot to ask..." She munches on another french fry, muffling her next words, "what happened to your hair? Why'd you cut it?"

"Oh, you know just... trying something new." I don't know why I'm covering up for that jerk Taehyung, but something tells me I just should. But I'm still beyond pissed at him for forcing me to keep up this bob.

"Well you still look hot, I love it." She nods.

"Lilo, can I talk to you?" I freeze at the familiar voice. When I turn in my seat Tye stands behind me, staring at me with a hint of desperation in his eyes. I slowly turn again to look at Mina who raises her eyebrows at me.

"Uh... I don't know Tye..."

"Please? It won't take long."

Mina shrugs, making me sigh and stand up, following him to wherever he wants me to go.

We end up in the school's sports field, sitting down on one of the platforms of the leveled sports benches.

The grass smells of pollen and fresh earthy mud, with the exception of minty breezes. The only noises to be heard are the shouts and whistles from the school football team practicing in the distance. Aside from them it's just Tye and I. I watch the group of sweaty boys run circles around each other whilst kicking their balls to distract me from the awkward silence, my hands clutch onto my knees from the wind blowing up my skirt.

"I like your new hair cut." Tye attempts to break the ice wall between us. I give a small nod, "Thanks." After another awkward silence I turn to Tye, letting the wind blow hair over my eyelashes.

"Tye why did you bring me here? What is it you want to talk about?"

"Lilo... I know I said I'd give you time, but I can't. I really miss you. Being without you is harder than I thought. I want us to get back together."

"Tye..."

"I can never get you out of my head. That night we went out was so amazing, I want to have more moments like that. I want us to travel together and make more memories... You seriously don't want that?"

"W-well yeah sure I do but..."

"Then why don't we? There's nothing stopping us. I've never felt as happy as when I was with you, and you've never felt so happy until being with me, I'm sure."

I stare at his face, ignoring the sound of the wind punching my eardrums.

"You're not Trisha and you'll never be Trisha, so please don't worry about her. You need love in this world in order to be happy, or you have loneliness. You don't want to be lonely, right? We need each other Lilo. Please take me back..."

I remain mute, pondering everything he's telling me and staring into his chocolaty brown eyes. He's right... I don't want to be alone. I squint from the hair in my face and nod. A huge smile forms on his face before his arms embrace me tightly.

"I promise I'll treat you right this time."

I don't say or do anything. I just let him hug me... wondering if I've made a sensible choice or not.