9

KAI

My mind was racing a hundred miles a minute, and I couldn't slow down. Before I even realized what I was doing or where I was going, I was already halfway there. Aurelia's words were constantly running through my mind as if it were a damn marathon. I only have 33 days with her until this bullshit prophecy comes to fruition? I don't think so

So I continued running, my legs pushing me harder and faster, my mind reeling as I tried to figure out a solution, any solution, to this. Finally, I reached the front porch of the worn-down white house that I never thought I'd have to return to. Raising my fist, I rapped my knuckles on the door and waited for what seemed like centuries, but realistically was no more than a minute. Finally, the door opened, revealing a middle-aged woman with fiery red hair. 

"Alpha Alistair," She spoke, her voice raising in surprise as her eyebrows followed suit. "What can I do for you?" 

"Lucy," I greeted her, "I need you to tell me everything you know about this golden wolf prophecy." 

At the mention of the prophecy, she visibly paled, and I immediately knew that it was worse than whatever Aurelia had led on. She nodded slowly, stepping aside and holding the door open, "You'd better come inside, then."

Walking into her wooden cabin, I made my way to the kitchen and sat at the table there. She came in a few moments later and poured water into an old-looking kettle as she placed it on the stove. Turning to face me, she frowned, "Why are you suddenly interested in the Prophecy of the Golden Wolf?" 

"I found my mate," I told her, "And she's the golden wolf, or whatever." 

She pressed her lips into a thin line, "I'm so sorry, Alpha Alistair." 

"But why?" I pressed, eager to know more about what had Lucy, one of the strongest witches I know, suddenly acting as though the world were ending. Thinking back on what Aurelia had told me, I suppose it very well could be. 

"The Golden Wolf is destined to be the end of our time as we know it," She said, shaking her head slightly as she rummaged through her cupboards. She looked a little older now, aging because of the stress on her, though her magic kept her from aging by too much. Right now, though, she looks like she just aged ten years in a moment's time. "Have you heard the whole prophecy?" I nodded. "I met the Golden Wolf once, when she was born. I have the gift of sight, which you know, and I happened to be passing through the Golden Wolf's territory the night of her birth." 

"You were the one that had the premonition? The one who spoke the prophecy?" I asked her, putting the pieces together bit by bit. The reasonable, sensible, human side of me knew that it wasn't her fault, but the animalistic side of me, my wolf, was itching at the chance to rip her throat out for placing such a heavy burden on my mate. 

Grimly, she nodded, picking up the kettle from the stovetop, pouring the water into two tea cups, before placing the tea bags into each cup, setting a cup in front of me, and taking a seat across from me with her own cup of tea, "I was only 19 then, and it was only my second premonition ever. I was just passing through the territory the night she was born, Aurelia. She was a beautiful baby, you know. No one could be in the same room as her without smiling, she just had the power in her." 

"Tell me about the prophecy," I pressed, "we can't just be doomed to all die or whatever in 33 days." 

"33 days?" Lucy questioned, her brows drawing together. 

I nodded, "That's when Aurelia turns 21." 

She set the cup of tea down hard, some of its contents splashing out onto the table. Her eyes glazed over a little, and I could tell she was wracking her brain, trying to figure out where the time has gone, trying to recall everything she knew about the prophecy. 

"The prophecy mentions something about unleashing her full power upon the earth," I state, pulling her from her thoughts, "What the hell does that mean? What's her full power?" 

Lucy shook her head, "No one knows, only Aurelia does, and even then, she doesn't know her full potential. That's the point of it all-- the curse unleashes the darkness inside." 

I growled at her, "You're talking like she's evil." 

"She might not be, but what's inside of her could be," She said. I didn't like that much better, as another growl eluded my chest. She frowned, but didn't shy away from me as most people would as a response to my wolf's warning. Instead, she sighed, "After all these years, I've never been able to figure out the ending of the prophecy, 'Should the flame be ignited by he who is pure, the trials all then shall endure, and to protect her from darkness' allure, all of the dark shall be obscured'. Maybe it's you, Alpha Alistair." 

"It's not," I said flatly, "it can't be. It says 'he who is pure'. Do you really think me to be a pure person, Lucy?" 

She pursed her lips, not responding. I could see the wheel working in her brain. I raised a brow at her, hoping she would elaborate. She sighed, "It's just that-- 'to protect her from darkness' allure', who else would want to protect her so fiercely, other than you?" 

My mind drifted to her perfect family, the father that she left behind. Alpha Levi Bennet, a benevolent and fair Alpha, one that has never been harsh. He could be the one that the prophecy speaks of. 

"Stop," Lucy snapped. I lifted my eyes to hers, "Do not try to interpret the prophecy; bad things come of those who try to meddle with fate." 

"I can't just let everything go to shit," I snarled, "She's the one good thing in my life other than the pack and I'm not just going to let that go!" 

Sitting back in her seat, she sipped her tea from her cup, before responding calmly, "You will not be letting it happen, Alpha Alistair. I can meddle with fate, for I am the one who predicted it. I will do my best to help you, to find a solution, a way to prevent the prophecy from coming true." 

"Why?" I questioned. Witches always had their own agendas, no matter how kind they were. 

She shrugged, "I happen to be a supernatural being, I'd rather not be obliterated into nothingness because of this prophecy that may come true." 

"There's more," I spoke flatly. 

Lucy sighed, "Fine, yes. I do need a favor in return." 

"What?" 

"I need some of your hair," She said simply, as if it were the most normal thing on Earth. After a few minutes of deliberation, I left Lucy's cottage with a few less hairs on my head, and more questions filling it, as I made my way back to my mate, still as clueless as ever as to what we were going to do about this prophecy.