Trial and Error

In English class, you're taught that gothic novels use setting as a tool to create foreshadowing and to signify mood. I've never paid much attention to the weather because I've experienced good days in the rain and bad ones in broad daylight. I always ignored the symbolism, and tonight was no exception.

Tonight was the full moon. They say wolves are influenced by the full moon, much like the tides, but I haven't heard any truth about it. To them, the full moon simply provided light, which is why it was tradition for trials to be held during the full moon. Each month, wolves would gather during the night with the most light to complete what needed to be completed.

It was less common for full moon trials to be held these days because the law was upheld whenever it came to be passed, rather than waiting for the night. Wolves back then would fear committing murder in broad daylight, worrying they would be seen by God or humans. There were no special effects to be caused by the moon: no super strength or urge to shift. I guessed it had also been easier to hunt during the full moon.

The trial of Stephanie was only being held during the full moon because it had been tonight. If not tonight, her trial would've been held either way. She would be escorted into a field and tried for treason. The trials usually didn't take long, and most were done within the hour. However, Stephanie was a special case. Maria had a soft spot for the girl, so no one really thought she would be able to go through with it.

As expected, Maria was the last to arrive. I walked beside her and I felt her clench her hand harder around mine when Stephanie was brought into view. Two men escorted her into the middle of the field and held her steady. The men pushed her to her knees and held her there by her shoulders. Maria met them, and I took a few steps back to give them room. I wasn't technically supposed to be there, but I gave up on the rules a long time ago.

"Stephanie, you are undergoing trial tonight because you've been suspected of treason. Earlier this day, you admitted to aiding hunters in a mission to kill your alpha. How do you plead?" Maria rattled off. She had probably said these words many times, but her eyes seemed to beg Stephanie to plead not guilty.

Her prayers weren't answered as Stephanie said, "I know I'm guilty, but I need you to reconsider."

"You knew the law when you decided to side with the hunters. Why should I?" Maria asked.

"I was only trying to protect my mother, you need to understand, I couldn't lose both my parents." Stephanie's voice broke.

"Many of us have lost both parents. No one else has sided with our enemy," Maria replied with compassion lacing her tone.

"I had no other choice!" Stephanie bellowed.

"You could've come to me for help. I would've done everything in my power to save your mother." Maria added bitterly, "I would've done anything for you."

"I ask that you pardon me," Stephanie pleaded.

"I sacrificed my life for you. I would've died for you. Would your mother have done the same?" Maria asked.

"Of course," Stephanie answered sincerely.

"Then why would your mother have remained alive when you were becoming a pawn in the process?" Maria questioned.

"I don't know," Stephanie spoke quietly.

"I treated you like my own, and in return, I got stabbed in the back," Maria spat.

"Actually, shot, multiple times," I corrected.

"Dylan, not now," Maria barked, keeping her eyes on Stephanie.