Thirteen

Skylar's POV

My mouth fell open in surprise as I stared at him.

Caden?

He was the last person I was expecting to see here, and threatening that girl with a gun to her forehead? On cue, my eyes darted to the gun in his hand and my stomach lurched.

Judging by his barely masked surprise, he hadn't been expecting to see me here either.

That was a distraction enough for the girl to roll over and stand up on her feet. It took her mere seconds to dash and disappear into the darkness. Caden frowned at the way she had disappeared off to but surprisingly, he didn't go after her. Almost as if he was deciding whether to confront her first, or me.

I started panicking. Confrontation with him when he looked so murderous, not to forget the pistol in his hand, seemed like the worst option at the moment. Before he could've turned back towards me, I stumbled back and ran the way I had just come from.

He was just about to kill someone.

Caden was just about to kill someone on the school grounds!

I wasn't just surprised, I was horrified. When he had said gangs, I don't know why but I hadn't expected this. I probably should've. I should've expected the worst.

I came to an abrupt halt near the school wall where I had left Alex. Except that this time, there was no Alex there.

"Fuck." A whisper escaped my lips as I frantically looked around. Where the hell did he go off to? He'd been drunk. I had left him here, hadn't I? Where did he...Oh God, where was he?

I didn't get the chance to look around for him either when a hand shot out and grabbed my arm, whirling me around in an instant. My heart skipped a beat when I saw a furious Caden right in front of me.

"What the hell, Skylar?" I didn't even try struggling out of his grasp. I was frozen in fear. "What the hell are you doing here?"

I blinked and my eyes frantically travelled down to his hand, the same hand which had been holding a gun before. Ready to shoot someone. It wasn't there anymore though. He wasn't holding a gun anymore.

"Let me go. I swear..." I trailed off as my eyes found his cold, hard gaze. "I swear I won't tell anyone about this, Caden." There was no mistaking fear in my voice. I sounded terrified. Almost as if I didn't even know him.

I didn't, I told myself. I sure as heck didn't know what was wrong with him.

Alex had been right. And now I couldn't find him and I was trapped here with Caden.

Caden's frown deepened, his dark brows pulling in together. My own eyes widened when I noticed the way he was clenching his jaw. He jerked me closer by my arm and I flinched.

"I don't fucking care about that, Skylar. That's not what I bloody asked you." He snapped. There were just a few inches between our faces and I think I was kind of hyperventilating. "What are you doing here?"

He wasn't calling me Anderson. And it shouldn't have scared me as much as it did right then.

I swallowed. "I-I don't know."

He was scaring me. I hadn't ever seen him so furious. Heck, I had only ever listened about his anger issues--rumours that flew in and around our school hallways.