Chapter 47

Luke's cold hands ran over my skin as he finished zipping up the part of my dress I couldn't reach. We both stared into the long mirror leaning on one of the walls in my room, studying our reflection a little too carefully.

Ever since spring break things felt a little different. It was a good different though. I think it was put into our heads that this was starting to get a little more serious and we weren't just hopeless romantics that stumbled into the loving arms of their best friends. No, no, no. How different things were for us.

"Our Sunday best on a Saturday," Luke softly spoke. His hands gripped onto my shoulders that had dotted with freckles over spring break. "Only your mother." He smiled at me through the mirror while my expression stayed flat.

"I feel like I should be worried about why we're dressed so nice for this surprise she's going to throw at us." I sighed, eyeing over the dress that clung tightly to my body.

He pressed his chest to my back and wrapped his arms across the top of my chest, kind of like a head lock, but without the actual choking part. "It's nothing, you donut." He teased. I gave him a suppressed smile and clung onto his forearms that were still wrapped around me.

"Are you ready?" I asked, changing the subject. We had a drive ahead of us that I wasn't necessarily looking forward to.

"I am." He shortly said. He unwrapped himself from me and took a few steps back as I turned around.

"Doesn't look like it." I giggled at the sight of his messy excuse of a tie and grabbed the end of it to pull him closer to me.

His bottom lip poked out at my action, "Be careful, this is expensive." He adjusted the knot around his neck to loosen it so I could retie it for him.

"I'm sure you did more harm than I did." I teased. I focused on straightening the tie up and quickly finished it. He readjusted the knot and smoothed down his shirt.

"It's always nice to see you in dresses." Luke admitted, his words sounding more like a sigh than anything. "God, I'm such a sap. What have you turned me in to?"

I rolled my eyes at him, taking his hand in mine and pulling him out of my room. "A human being with feelings." I said over my shoulder, letting my hair fall down my back.

I tugged him all the way through the front door, down our buildings' steps, and to my car without a single peep from both of us. We had already loaded my car up with our bags for the weekend along with our normal road trip CDs. Most of them were made when we were about 14 or 15 and contained mostly of some throw back Fall Out Boy songs mixed with a strange amount of Kelly Clarkson. I blame Luke for that one.

"Hungry?" I asked him, starting up the engine.

He groaned, "Always."

"Me too." I whined, looking over at him.

"This is why we're friends." He laughed. I snickered at his response as I started backing out of my parking spot and starting the horrible drive down to my parent's house.

"This is why we date." I added. We both looked at each other with soft smiles on our faces.

"Relationship goals." He said, nearly mumbling as his smile grew.

I groaned as he chuckled, "God, I hate you."

Our ride was quiet as Luke decided to take advantage of the trip and sleep. Apparently the two donuts he ate had actually put him into a sugar coma.

I used the silent time to think. My life at the moment was unpredictable. It made a 180 and I was at a place where I never thought I'd ever be. And it was incredible and I was happy and that's all that mattered to me.