17. Dream

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I was sure the darkness would return. I was so sure of it that I couldn't sleep well. I lay awake, listening to the other kids' heavy breathing and occasional mumbling in their well-deserved sleep, wishing I could close my eyes even for a second. The world felt different somehow. I couldn't put my finger on it.

But... at the same time... the difference felt familiar. I had blocked memories I didn't want to visit, things I didn't want to remember, but no matter how hard I wanted to believe I was able to erase those memories for good, I was not.

Like that night in that one house. Me, bleeding from my shoulder. Two dark figures approaching me with anger written all over them. It wasn't the same, but it was familiar. The darkness was there as well, in that house, but it had been different. It had felt different, but it was still similar to the darkness I had felt earlier today.

I gasped involuntarily, pressing my eyes shut so hard it hurt. I didn't want to remember that darkness.

I really was crazy. I was sure my mother called me that. Once. I used to have imaginary friends and she didn't like that. I overheard her talking to someone, maybe a friend, that I was utterly crazy. Although, I had so many dreams of her that it could've been one of those as well, and not a memory. In my dreams she called me much worse sometimes, so...

I opened my eyes again. I had spent some time in a psych ward after that one incident at that foster home I wanted to forget. I had been too scared of everything to go back to the group home. I couldn't remember much of that time, but I could remember the fear. They had to drug me to make me sleep because I was too scared to fall asleep.

And now it was happening all over again. I couldn't help but wonder if I was scared enough to be insane enough to have hallucinations about shadows and other invisible beings. That actually made a lot more sense than being able to feel gray and white shadows around me.

"Listen to yourself," I let out a quiet chuckle, and the sound of my own laughter freaked me out.

I was definitely crazy. Maybe I would end up back in psych ward soon enough.

I turned on my side and stared at the wall in front of me. I forced all these thoughts out of my head, and another one popped right up. A better one, if that made any sense.

Jaden.

Thinking about him was surprisingly soothing, even though it definitely shouldn't have been. He was in a dangerous gang for crying out loud! But still, when I pictured him in front of me, I forgot all about the shadows and I calmed down.

He was... quite handsome if I thought about it. He couldn't be red-haired naturally, since only a week ago his hair was dyed blue. Now it was deep-red. Crimson red. And the way he had his black bandana tied over them made him look so... rebellious. Or like a pirate. I loved pirates... And his eyes! They could've been green, gray or blue, the color of them was so exotic. That one time, when he looked at me, they seemed gray, but when the light hit them just right they seemed blue, but with a hint of green, and I was so fascinated to know which was their actual color.