Chapter 39

Third person pov

"Arron, Shikamaru! You're home!" Yoshino popped out of the kitchen, which seemed to be her favorite place to be. Arron was startled by her sudden appearance. The girl shoved herself behind Shikamaru, peeking over his shoulder to make sure there was no immediate danger. Trexx, on the other hand, didn't seem to be paying attention to anything happening. Instead he simply stared at the lamp by the front door in a hungry sort of way.

"Hey, mom." Shikamaru greeted. "What's that smell? Are you making curry?"

Yoshino looked completely offended. She scoffed loudly. "What do I look like; a five star chef? It's grilled cheese sprinkled with pepper." She rolled her eyes before disappearing back into the kitchen.

"Troublesome woman." Shikamaru grumbled under his breath, shuffling towards the halls. "It's a shame she can't be more like you, Arron. At least you aren't rude."

Arron didn't say anything, but followed behind Shikamaru just as dutifully as she usually did. He yawned. Today had been a long day. He was honestly still feeling annoyed with that boy in the diner. He knew Arron was pretty. Really, really pretty, actually. Her skin had regained some color, her eyes weren't sunken into her face and her cheeks had filled out. She looked normal. Beautiful, really. He just sort of wished other people wouldn't notice...

He didn't tell Arron how much it upset him. In fact, he didn't tell her that it upset or even annoyed him at all. She'd never even look at a stranger again if she thought Shikamaru didn't like it.

The young Nara pulled open the door to the bedroom he, Arron and Trexx all shared. It was exactly as they'd left it. Arron went straight for her cot. Trexx followed, sniffing around for any sign that someone unwelcome had been around. Shikamaru let out a heavy breath of air as he let his kunai pouch plop on the ground. Today had been a long one.

"Do you want to come with me again tomorrow, Arron?" Shikamaru checked. Arron immediately nodded, shuffling over to his bed where he sat. Shikamaru yawned, looking up at Arron as she came to a stop in front of him. Even sitting down on this bed, Shikamaru still wasn't much shorter than Arron when she stood.

"Yes." Arron reached down and took both of Shikamaru's hands. His cheeks pinkened slightly as he gazed up at Arron, who stared directly into his eyes. Her eyes had always been interesting in his opinion. Sometimes he swore he could see hints of purple shining through. They were beautiful. Dark, and almost alive in a way he could not readily explain. He felt he could stare at them all day. They were simply so full of life. Arron had been through a lot, but the fire inside her burned bright even still.

"Did you have fun today, then?" Shikamaru's cheeks got hotter as she scooted closer, her hands slipping from his and moving up to his shoulders. He didn't break eye contact. Arron didn't seem faxed by their proximity. She stared down at him with a weary, soft gaze. She looked just as tired as he felt.

Arron seemed to think about it for a moment before finally shaking her head. No, she hadn't had fun today, but it had been... A glad day. That's the only was she could describe it. She was glad she hadn't died. She was glad nobody had taken her, or hurt Shikamaru. She was glad she was able to be with him all day. She was just glad.

"But it was okay?" Shikamaru asked, his voice coming out far softer than he'd expected it to. His cheeks were bright red now. Arron's hands were on his cheeks, and she'd climbed onto his lap, straddling him. He knew she meant nothing by it, but he... He couldn't help it. He just couldn't!

"Yes." Arron's said, and then she smiled a small smile. "I love you."

Shikamaru pressed his lips together, his heart leaping. "I love you too, Arron." He assured, holding her gaze. She let her hands fall from his face, and she wrapped her arms around his neck in a hug. He readily hugged her back.

Arron, as long as he's know her, had felt cold. Her body hadn't had enough nutrients or energy to produce body heat.

Today, however, was different.

Today, Shikamaru had never felt anything so damn warm.