one

Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters they all belong the Holly Black the author of 'The Cruel Prince'

Jude's POV
I lie in a king sized bed engulfed in soft white sheets, feeling like I'm floating-the perfect paradise. But sleep isn't coming. Hours and hours escape me leaving me in the dark with the bright moon shining through the enormous windows.
Slowly I make my way to my desk and turn on the small lamp, piles and piles of letters cover the wood surface. Tonight isn't the night to be thinking about meetings with important people or answering hundreds of letters Cardan tips on me like a bin everyday. I hear the sound of footsteps outside my room-probably Cardan- he often doesn't sleep either I suppose thats the only way we are alike.
Quicker this time (due to the cold room) I slip into bed this time falling into a deep sleep.

Cardan pulled me closer and put his full pink lips on mine while I traced fingers along his jawline and down onto his chest.
He kisses hungrily on my neck and grabs at my hips, in a swift movement sits my down on my cluttered desk and he takes off his shirt revealing his muscles. He unzips my dress at the back and now I'm fully revealed. He kisses my breasts and goes farther and father down-

I woke up in a sudden hot sweat as sunlight trickles like honey through my window. What was that? Why would I think that way about Cardan after all he has done to me? But in my chest my heart beat fast and butterflies were let out of their cage and released in the stomach. I got out of bed quickly busying myself with little errands before sitting on the haggard chair and looking through the dark abyss of letters that awaited me.

After and hour or so I heard a heavy knock at the door.
"Come in" I say lazily, still reading the same lines that I had been reading over and over but not properly due to tiredness. The door opened and a tall figure entered the room-but stayed at the doorway-Cardan.
"Hello, is there anything you need?" I ask trying not to show embarrassment of seeing him after that dream I had last night.
"Yes hello I've decided to have a ball tonight, could you send out the rest of the invites to these people" he replied handing me over a piece of paper with 30 or so name and address on.
"We never normally send invites so I don't see the need" I answered trying to hide my annoyance.
"Yes I know I just need to make sure some specific people will be there."
"Of course my king" I say look up at him and smile condescendingly. I could see slight annoyance in his eyes but I suppose it's just me he dislikes.
He walks out of the room his long cloak billowing out behind him and I smile-I acted that perfectly. I wrote the invitations quickly but taking care at the same time and gave them to an imp who came to collect them.
I can't believe Cardan is throwing another ball! For what? To get drunk then dance with and kiss as many pixies and faeries as he pleases to.
Ugh my life makes me mad-he makes me mad! But every time I see him with another girl I feel a pang of jealousy in my chest and that needs to stop.
I look in my wardrobe and pick out my most revealing but still classy dress. It was a plum coloured floor length dress that hugged my figure perfectly in all the right places-perfect so I made my way to the great hall.