𝟎𝟗

Dawn's Pov

The next morning started with a million messages and calls coming in almost every minute from my husband.

David: Where are you?

David: Are you safe?

David: I'm sorry about last night, my love.

David: Please tell me where you are and pick up the call so we can settle this.

David: I miss you.

David: I love you.

It tightened my throat to see this. At some point, I tossed my phone aside and got off Becky's bed to get ready for work.

I'd crashed into her place last night with tears in my eyes and she hadn't hesitated to take me in and make me my favorite ice cream combo.

And then she'd watched movies with me, making sure I went to bed first before she did.

Sometimes she was like a mini version of my mother, other times she was like an overprotective sister, and most of the times she was like that one annoying, pushy friend you wanted to get rid of but just couldn't.

I chuckled softly at the thought of that.

She was currently in the kitchen making coffee for both of us while I settled for surfing through her wardrobe since going back home for fresh clothes wasn't an option.

I guess this was one of the perks I enjoyed of sharing a clothing size with my best friend.

My phone buzzed on the nightstand. I groaned and forced my head back into looking for the right outfit. I knew staying away from my home and ignoring my husband wasn't the best idea. Some might even call it emotional blackmail but something had to give. It felt like we were going around in circles, arguing over the same issue, and honestly, I was tired.

This pitch dress I managed to pull out looked good enough. I held it over my body and audited myself in the full-length mirror for a moment before laying it flat on the bed so it stretched out.

"Coffee's ready."

Pivoting at the sound of Becky's voice, I watched her walk into the room, her hair up in a messy bun and eyes still fogged from staying up half the night.

"Here."

I took the cup of black coffee and I sipped, feeling less stressed and stiff as it went down with the warmth only an early morning cup of coffee could give.

She plopped down on the bed, just about when my phone buzzed again, and the ring tone blaring told me it was my husband calling.

Becky arched a brow at me as she downed her coffee like it was a shot of vodka. "You're still not going to answer it?"

The phone stopped ringing. I shook my head and sipped my coffee. "No."

Her phone started ringing right away and when she picked it up, her brows creased. She looked up at me and flashed the caller ID on my face. My gut tightened. "He might be going crazy with worry."

I took another sip and weighed her words. "He should." I then drawled. "Let him be worried and miserable. He at least owes me that."

She released a sigh and shook her head. "I hate to ignore his calls, and I know he screwed up but he's your husband and he still loves you." She tossed her phone aside. "You guys better just work this out soon because I do plan to become a good mother to a billionaire baby."