Chapter 44: No

At the entrance of the cave stood Murphy, heaving as he attempted to catch his breath. His suit was haphazardly thrown on, though his mask was secure on his face. We wouldn't want his secret identity to get out now would we?

All my previous bravado fell away as tears streamed down my face as I fought to get the words out. Spitfire held his hand up in the air as if to say he understood, his eyes gentle as they found me. They hardened significantly however when they turned to the brothers, especially when he recognized Mr. Thresher as one of them.

"One superheroic asshole at your service," Some of his confidence fell when he realized it was two-to-one, so he hastily added, "and you can be sure there are another couple on their way here now."

Harry looked between his brother and Spitfire and smiled, "Well I guess a slow and painful death is off the table. Ian, you take care of Mr. Spandex over there and I take care of Nova over here." His eyes turned to me, "It's a shame you have to die, you're a good photographer and given time, I had hoped to maybe convert you over to the darkside. I think that'd be more of a punishment than anything."

"Why would you want to 'bring me over the darkside?" Spitfire's presence was enough to knock him off his game. I knew Thresher wasn't much of a threat comparatively so I just had to distract Harry long enough for Spitfire to finish off Thresher. "All I have is a smart mouth and a camera and we both know only one of those is reliable. I'm pretty much useless in a fight, I only casually work out and that's just that I occasionally go for a run."

My best efforts at stalling seemed to be in vain as Harry grew closer to me. I suddenly sound myself struggling for breath as Harry grinned on. As far as I knew, their only powers were flight and strength above that only an average person, telekinesis was not among those. Mr. Thresher didn't seem to share in that same power as Spitfire landed another blow on him, although he was back on defense before Spitfire could make a break for me.

"Come on, we know your mother had her cop buddy forge those documents. So before I kill you, just tell me what they are?"

The pressure on my neck lessened ever so slightly so I managed to force the words out, "What. Are. You. Talking. About?"

"What do you mean?" As his face fell, so did the pressure on my neck. I fell to the floor in a coughing fit, though Harry took no notice to it. "I know your mother changed your results."

"Look I don't know what you're talking about." I took a moment, even saying a few words put me in a lot of pain. "Let's skip the whole misunderstanding thing. Why don't you tell me exactly what you're talking about as if I knew nothing because I do know nothing."

"Come on, you have to know about the Xavier Test."

Before he could continue further, or I could respond, the sound of someone being thrown through a wall stopped us. Spitfire took a moment to catch his breath before he dash forward in our direction. Within seconds he had Harry in the air and before the latter could retaliate, he was across the room unconscious.

He made quick work of the bars, melting a space big enough for him to fit through. He bolted forward and wrapped his arms around me, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I smiled as I looked up at him, "Thankfully I managed to keep them talking, I knew I just had to distract them long enough for you to get over here."

He smiled before reaching into his pocket and handing me something, "I managed to snag your phone before I came in. A little stupid given the time constraints but I figured you'd appreciate having it."

I nodded, "I do." I wanted nothing more than to scroll through my phone and answer the dozens of messages I expected from Mary. A look over at Harry and Mr. Thresher was enough to stop me from wasting any more time however, "I'm guessing we should probably go. Were you telling the truth about more people coming?"