「050」

0 5 0

ROAD/PATH

══════↯══════

Yoonbyul and I stare at each other for a brief moment. We were now linked together by a secret that both of our fathers had held. A secret that was yet to be exposed, a secret that was yet to cause more problems in the near future.

"I really don't know what's going on with our fathers in these photos but I know one thing," I say as I look at Yoonbyul, "My father is planning something against you and I can feel it in my gut."

"Are you insinuating that these photos hold the answer to what's going on between our families?" inquired Yoonbyul with a look of determination.

I nod, it is what I believe as of right now. It may not be true but based on my father's latest actions lately, it seems like the most plausible answer. I thought that Yoonbyul and I being childhood friends was an amazing memory to recall, however now it's become more complicated than that. While I had blind faith that my choice to go against my own father was the right one, something that I can't identify as an angel or Satan says 'he's a bad man'.

Yoonbyul lets out another sigh while rubbing her temples. This is giving her a headache, I could tell by the expression on her face. She places the photo that she took out back into her pocket.

"Well, thanks for the chat Haneul, I have to go back to the auditorium to help out now," said Yoonbyul as she headed for the stairs.

I grab onto her wrist, "Are you sure? I don't want you to fall into my father's trap."

"I'll be careful. Besides..." replied Yoonbyul with a mischievous smirk, "I have some business to take care of with Mr. Go Yongsun."

I stare at Yoonbyul with disbelief. Even after I told her about my father's intentions, she still plans on going near him.

"Okay I trust you Yoonbyul, if anything happens I'll be ready to kick my father's ass."

"Now that's the Go Haneul I know," smiled Yoonbyul, "I'll be going now."

Yoonbyul ran down the stairs, leaving me alone on the rooftop. If it were winter right now, my endless sighs would've clouded my vision already. I walk to the edge of the rooftop and leaned on top of the bar. I never knew that this school had such a gorgeous view up here.

This school was only built last year, can't believe nearly a whole year has passed. I, who didn't want to make an even bigger idiot out of myself, came to this place and three years have passed. It's been three years since I have officially moved to the city, and before I knew it, I've changed from a high school student to an oversized child. Grey hairs of greed and ambition increase and the many friends I had split off one by one. I may look like I'm happy, I may look like I have a lot of friends, but reality was different, even when my peers tried to keep me, I walked the lightless tunnels on my own. I hid all of it behind a mask, the mask of an intimidating bully. I chose to pick on Yoonbyul, but what was the real reason why? Did I see her as my old self or did the heavens make the choice for me to realize the true person that she was?

Would I have changed? If I had chosen a different path, if I had stopped and looked back? Would Yoonbyul be safer if she never met me? Would my father not have found her if I didn't decide to move to the city? A cold chill runs through my father, at this very moment I finally felt the true meaning of loneliness. Once I go to war with my father, I wouldn't have anyone left.

Lonely without family, I greet my third spring in Seoul alone.

Y O O N B Y U L

I nervously bite my lip as I made my way back to the auditorium. I'm really going to see that man again in person today. Of all the people I decide to help out, it just had to be someone I have conflict with. This Go Yongsun, Haneul's father, what does he want with me? Does he have something to with my past? I'm starting to have a strange feeling in my gut that he's been involved in my life for more than once. I couldn't have just met him because I was friends with Haneul when we were little. The photo in my pocket tells me that my father and him go way back.

"Hey Yoonbyul, Mr. Go told me tell you to meet him later after the orientation is over," said one of the other students who were helping out with the event.

I follow the student into the auditorium to see a familiar face. There he was, talking sweetly with Mr. Baek, our principal. I took a seat close to the stage since I was part of the volunteer committee. The lights in the auditorium begin to dim, casting a spotlight for Mr. Go who was standing on the podium. For the meantime I'll just focus on his speech, let's see what this man has to offer. Until then I'll combat the many pains and scars and prepare myself. I'll nurture my notion to bend rather than to break and ignite the stars in my heart.

"Ahem, testing testing," said Mr. Go as he tapped the mic, "Hello students, thank you for attending this orientation regarding the annual camping trip. I am Go Yongsun, a CEO of a major corporate funding company---"

Some murmurs began to spread through the auditorium; I could hear students murmuring about how Mr. Go is Haneul's father and about how powerful his company is. I look around some more to see how full the auditorium is, of course it was since this camping trip is for the whole school. After looking around a bit more, I managed to spot Jungkook and his hyungs in the back left corner and Haneul leaning against the door frame of the exit. I turn back to face the stage to listen to Mr. Go's speech.

"---I am proud to say that I have decided to be this year's sponsor for this trip. I'm sure you're all curious about the camping location."

"YES WE ARE!" shouted the students in unison.

Mr. Go clicks a remote and a beautiful image appeared on the screen behind him, "This is the location we will be going to. It's a campsite with a lovely hiking trail and a vast ocean. The campsite will already have cabins provided, there are the same amount of cabins as there are dorms at this school which means you'll be automatically assigned to stay with the people you share your dorm with. This all there is needed for me to mention about this trip. It's coming up soon so please be prepared for it. Lists with what you'll need to bring and info about the trip will be given to you as you exit the auditorium. Thank you for listening."

The orientation ends with zero errors and all the students started to line up to exit the auditorium. Since the orientation is over, I have to go meet Mr. Go now. I walk over to the stage and greeted Mr. Go after he finished chatting with one of the office staff.

"Hello sir, a student said you wanted to see me?" I say with a calm expression while staring at his face. It's chilling to speak with him face to face like this. It's all too familiar to me, as if I've spoken to him exactly like this before...

"Ah yes, Seo Yoonbyul was it? It's nice to meet you face to face. Thank you for assisting me with this orientation," replied Mr. Go with a smile.

"No it was pleasure, I'm glad that I managed to complete my task well."

"Well then I hope that you'll be able to help with future projects as well since I'll be involving myself with this school more starting the next school term," said Mr. Go as he held out his hand.

I reluctantly nod and shake his hand back. This hand, this grip, it's all rather familiar to me. My head begins to hurt as I stole another quick glance at Mr. Go's face while still holding his hand. A vision appears in my head, it's the ocean scene from my missing memory.