Chapter-16

''Nervous!'' Sheela asked Kajal when she found her daughter frozen opposite to mirror.

''I am mom.''

''Why?''

''I am again going to be among same people who made me walk out on Tarun. I don't know if it was right to accept this invitation.'' Kajal fidgeted. She had been all excited about the upcoming engagement of Praveen, with the thought spending time with Tarun. Now, when day was already here, she had turned cold feet. Dressed in a bold red net saree she looked beautiful, yet felt nervous. She kept staring her reflection trying to figure out if it would be enough for Tarun.

Sheela turned her daughter around, ''You shouldn't be Kajal. It's not your but Tarun's test today. It's him who has to prove you right.''

''What if he fails me mom?'' Kajal asked, a little worried

''Then go ahead with the decision you took while walking out on him. You are an independent girl, you don't need a man's approval about yourself. You have a name in your field, people envy you. They secretly wish to be you. You  have nothing to lose.'' Her mother's words pumped in some confidence in Kajal. She was determined not to take any kind of nonsense from anyone. She had decided to show them what real Kajal was made off.

''Kajal, Tarun is here.'' She moved out into the hall to join Tarun. Dressed in a three piece he looked dapper. He smiled locking his eyes with her , she blushed. The parents looked from one to other witnessing the silent exchange of emotions.

Arun cleared his throat to bring the two out of their world, ''We will leave.''

''Drop my daughter back home safely and smiling.'' Arun added

'I just want to take her back' Tarun thought, but refrained this thoughts taking the shape of words. With a nod to his father he turned his eyes to his wife, Kajal silently walked out and Tarun followed.

''She blushed! That's a miracle.'' Sheela said once the couple was out of sight.

''She is in love so is he. Lets just wait for dumb heads to realise that.'' Arun replied making himself comfortable on the couch.

''What if he fails her? Again''

''Then its his bad luck. Kajal deserves to get her choices, I will stand by her whatever she chooses.'' He concluded the discussion lifting the already read newspaper between them Sheela hummed and walked off to check on the dinner in kitchen.

***

They drove in silence till they reached the venue, not sure what to say to each other. Kajal was surprised at her silence, she had never been the shy kinds. She openly faced the guys who checked her out, but there was a strange bubbling feeling in her heart when she found Tarun's eyes on her. It was exciting yet scary. She didn't know how to react or what to expect. With a sigh she decided to let the things go as they are, secretly wishing the evening to get over fast.

''Here, Praveen's gift. You carry on , I will park and join you.'' Kajal nodded and left the car. Traun wiped his forehead, 'Why the hell am I sweating in a ac vehicle?'

He took quick steps to join her in the gathering . He didn't wanted her to land in any uncomfortable position because of him. As he walked towards the entrance , his legs halted as smile stretched his lips. Kajal stood at the entrance waiting for him, ''You could have gone inside.''

''We came together, we should go in together.'' She replied. He smiled, the reply was simple yet soothing to his ears. Together they stepped into the gathering which looked nothing less than a colourful fest, ''WOW!'' She exclaimed looking at the crowd