Chapters 41-45

Chapter 41: Qi Chen marrying a Concubine

Nan Xun realized that Jun Huang was still dressed in women's clothes. Clearing his throat, he let go of her and called out for the maid to enter, telling her to help Jun Huang change.

Jun Huang let the maid help her into a purple silk robe. She put her hair up and held it together with a white jade cap. Back to being the handsome gentleman.

The maid watched her with wide eyes. Earlier when she was helping Jun Huang change, her hair was down, and the maid didn't look that closely at her. Now, under the candlelight, Jun Huang looked not unlike a celestial being banished to earth.

Jun Huang turned to face her and let out a laugh. She considered her outfit - it was good enough. She smoothed out the wrinkles before walking out of the door.

Nan Xun was waiting right outside. He turned to look at Jun Huang the moment he heard the door creaking, his heart softening at the sight of her. "Don't push yourself too hard at Prince Chen Manor," he gently said. "Be on your guard. Don't let Qi Chen discover your true identity."

Jun Huang nodded. "I'll remember what Your Highness said. Please excuse me. I'll now take my leave. You don't need to walk me out."

Nan Xun stood there watching Jun Huang leave without a word.

The maid saw him when she came out. She covered up her smile with a hand. Didn't expect her iceberg of a prince to act like this. Jun Huang, though, was an extraordinary woman. In the whole Northern Qi, she was probably the only one who actually deserved the prince's affection.

On her way back to Prince Chen Manor, Jun Huang was deep in thoughts. Originally she was only going to thank Nan Xun for his help, then she would avenge her family on her own, but Nan Xun agreed to help her so easily - he didn't even stop to consider the matter.

This time, if not for Nan Xun's help, she would have died already. She suddenly felt afraid. No one in the world could truly be fearless in the face of death.

The imperial city seemed particularly empty today. There was no one on the street. It was most likely because of the banquet of a hundred households. She was alone here.

The tavern that had been filled with people was still open. Some important figure probably reserved the whole place for a celebration, or some gentleman might have found a good spouse at the banquet. It was a perfect night for drinking and celebrating.

The pebbled street extended far beyond her sight. Jun Huang's frame wavered a little, but she couldn't fall down here. She took a deep breath and looked up at the boundless sky. On that day, so many citizens of her country lost their lives. Their blood painted the whole imperial city. All she could see was red.

"Hello, which family does this gentleman belong to? Why aren't you home yet?" the old night watchman walked up to her and said, holding a gong in his hand. There was a friendly smile on his face. "It's chilly at night. The gentleman should take care not to catch a cold."

"Thank you for your concerns. I'm actually on my way home. Please be careful yourself. It's difficult to see the road at night. Careful not to trip."

After bidding the old man farewell, Jun Huang picked up her pace and soon reached Prince Chen Manor. The door was shut. Jun Huang had no choice but to knock. A tired voice asked, "Who is it?"

"This gentleman is Feng Baiyu."

The page boy in charge of door keeping immediately opened the door, afraid of keeping her waiting. "Sir Feng, it's good to see you. The prince was just asking after you."