Chapter Sixteen: Amanda's Discovery

Garret is quite a good kisser. That is a fact and not an opinion.

            At first, I was too shocked to respond. But then I kissed him back, positioning both of my hands on his neck, pulling him closer to me. He moaned then placed his hands on the back of my leg. Immediately, I wrapped both of my legs on his waist and there, on that very spot of the vacant room, I knew I actually love him.

            But then everything crashed down when Garret pulled away and dropped me to the ground with a very loud thud. I groaned as my ass hit the floor. “What was that for?”

            I looked up and saw Garret stepping away from me, looking at me, horrified. My heart broke on the sight of him. No… He couldn’t detest me right now. Right now was supposed to be perfect, for him to kiss me senseless and for me to love him.

            “Me—Melanie… I’m sorry!” he suddenly apologized and fell to the ground.

            I stared at him as he placed both of his hands on his head. I stared at him as he closed his eyes, clearly thinking hard.

            “What do you mean ‘I’m sorry’?” I asked carefully. “That you don’t mean what you just have done?”

            He opened his eyes and looked at me. “You don’t deserve me, Melanie. I’m a vampire and you’re… you’re a human.”

            “What are you saying? I can’t understand you,” I said, furrowing my eyebrows.

            Garret took a deep breath. “What I’m saying is that… is that… I…”

            “You…?” I urged him to continue.

            “I like you,” he blurted out, looking at me straight in the eyes. “I like you too damn much, Melanie. I like you more than a friend. I like you in a way that a vampire isn’t supposed to feel for a human.”

            I opened my mouth to make a reply but I can’t find my voice. And so he continued, “I like the way your curly blonde hair sways with the wind. I like the way you sing your songs. I like the way you talk, the way you smile when you find something funny, the way you laugh when you’re amused. I like the way you tilt your head whenever you consider a question. I like the way you talk to me straightforwardly—not like the others who try their very best to flirt with me. I like way you talk to my mother, like she doesn’t scare you. I like the way you’re everything that I wanted. I like you because of all of these things. I like you because you’re Melanie Meyer.”

            He sighed deeply as he finished. My mouth was open, shocked with his confession. Garret… likes me? He actually likes me? But—but that’s impossible! I’m just a nobody, a nobody who doesn’t give a damn to anyone who doesn’t care. I know I’m pretty, beautiful even, but I never thought I deserve someone like Garret to like me.

            “I sound like a complete idiot to you now, right?” he asked and smiled slightly. “I bet you thought that I don’t like you. You’re wrong.”

            And so I just sighed and walked to him. I sat across him and did the only thing I know that will ease the tension.

            I kissed him.

            I kissed Garret Stone.

            It was only a small, brief kiss but it means everything. That kiss means that I like him, too. That kiss is everything he needs to know.