Ch. 31

*Austin's POV*

"Dahlia! Please! Don't leave! This is crazy." I said, closing her suitcase.

She shook her head. "You're leaving, Austin. You're leaving me."

I frowned. "Baby, what is this really about?"

She threw some more clothes in her bag and zipped up the suitcase. She walked to the door, ignoring me.

"I have to leave. I can't quit my band, babe. Please." I grabbed her arm and made her face me. She was crying a lot harder than I thought she was. "Baby. Please. Let's talk about this."

She relaxed her body for a second, then tensed back up. "I'm not losing another person I love." She turned and walked down the stairs.

I ran in front of her and blocked the stairs. "Dahlia. I hate to say this, but this is just your hormones." I threw her bag down the stairs and held her hands. "You're not gonna lose me like you lost Andrew. I already told you, I'm gonna be around for awhile."

She was crying harder at this point. "What if something happens on the road? And you die. And I'm left here alone?" She pulled her hands away. "I'm not going through that again, Austin. I want you here with me, by my side, so I can protect you."

I was angry now. She was being so irrational. "Andrew was right next to you and he died."

As soon as the words came out I regretting saying them. Dahlia's jaw clenched and she pushed past me. My heart broke. I couldn't believe I just said that. Dahlia was my whole world. I can't lose her.

I turned and stood at the bottom of the stairs. "Dahlia, I am so sorry. I didn't mean to say that."

She turned to look at me. Her big belly hung out of her shirt. Her eyes were red and her face was wet from her tears. "I'll call you when Julia is coming." With that, she turned and left, taking my heart with her. I knew I should go after her, but I couldn't move. I was heart broken. I just lost the two people that meant everything to me. Over what?

---

*Dahlia's POV*

I walked up to my mom's room at the hospital. I couldn't stop crying. Even if Mom wasn't herself today, I had to be with her. I needed my mom.

I stepped into the room. Mom sat on her bed, playing with a deck of cards. She looked up at me and smiled. "Victoria?"

I tried smiling. "Yeah, Mom. It's me, Victoria."

Mom smiled bigger. "You're having a baby?"

I touched my belly and went over to her, sitting next to her. The last few times I had seen her she thought I was Victoria. She rested her hand on my belly. "Why do you cry? You're having a baby."

"Mom? I'm so scared." I said, laying my head on her shoulder.

She put her arm around me. "What's wrong, darling?"

"I fell in love again, Mom. And now we're having a baby. What if something happens to him? Mom, I can't lose him. I love him so much." I said, starting to cry again. "I tried blaming it on the fact that he's leaving. But the truth is, It's getting real with him, Mom. I don't want another accident to happen. I just want things to be perfect like they have been. What if he's on the road, and something terrible happens?"

She rubbed my back. "Victoria, love is about taking risks. You have to trust that things are going to be okay. You love this man. Go home to him."

I looked at her. Her eyes were so clouded over and sad. She was trapped in her brain. I wasn't sure who this personality was. Maybe a younger version of her? Who she was before Victoria died. I held her hand. "Mom. What if something happens to the baby? I can't lose another child. Austin will hate me. I'll fall apart."

She nodded and looked down. "I lost a child once." Then she frowned. "I lost a daughter..." She looked up at me. "It was...it was you..." Her eyes searched mine and I prayed she knew who I was. "You died when you were a baby." Something clicked in her. Her eyes cleared up and she smiled. "Dahlia?"

I started crying. "Yes, Mom." I wrapped my arms around her. "Please, don't leave."

She hugged me. "Dahlia. I love you so much. I'm so sorry I've been such a bad mom."

I hugged her tighter. "Mommy, please don't go anywhere anytime soon. Stay here."

She pulled away and looked at me. "Baby, I will try." She smiled and looked at my belly. "Another angel." She looked at me. "I'm so proud of you."

I sighed. "Mom, I left Austin."

She frowned. "Why?"

"I'm scared." I whispered.

She shook her head. "Dahlia, don't be afraid of anything."

"Tell me what to do." I said.

Her eyes got heavy and her body relaxed. "Darling, I'm so sleepy."

My eyes filled with tears again. "Stay awake with me, Mom. If you fall asleep, who knows who you'll be when you wake up."

She laid down. "Dahlia, sleep with me. I promise I'll wake up okay."

I laid down next to her. I wanted to be by her side forever. She rubbed my belly and kissed my forehead. "I love you so much, Dahlia Rose."

"I love you, Mommy." I said, drifting off to sleep.