Rock and Roll Waltz

"Okay," Bonnie said checking the clock on the nightstand, "Dusty said he'll be here in about five minutes. Golly, aren't you nervous?"

She spun in the mirror, her green dress billowing out and twirling around her knees.

"More like excited," I said, running my hand down the soft fabric of my dress.

Bonnie finished the last curl on her hair and carefully pinned it away.

"I can't believe we had enough time to get ready," Bonnie laughed, "I practically had to drag you off of that typewriter."

"Four hours is plenty of time," I said, "Besides, one more paragraph on that essay and my grade in Human Ethics is made in the shade."

"Ugh, how can you be thinking about school on a night like tonight? It's the Senior Jubilee, Eleanor. Tonight's supposed to be fun."

"And I'm going to have fun."

"Well, the whole senior class is going to be there. After Friday, I'm sure people are going to be talking."

"Are you trying to give me the zorros?" I laughed.

"No, I'm just letting you know that you and Rider will have center stage," Bonnie said smugly, "You know, in case he's got a surprise up his sleeve."

"Bonnie, the only surprise in store for tonight is how much Spray Net you're going to put in your hair."

Bonnie stuck her tongue out in the reflection, as she spray one last puff in her hair. A knock sounded at my bedroom door, and my mother came in.

"Awww, you two look so beautiful," she gushed.

"Thanks Ms. Harper," Bonnie said.

"Eleanor, I found something you might like in my closet," my mother said, coming to the mirror and revealing an evening shawl folded in her hands.

My mother opened the fabric and let the material cascade down. The piece was a beautiful shade of white with golden strands woven throughout, glinting in the light.

"Oh, that's so beautiful," I said, walking over to feel the cloth.

What I thought was silk was actually thin strands tightly woven into a delicate knit.

"This is the shawl I wore to my senior promenade," my mother said, "I had no idea I had saved it. Would you like to wear it?"

"Really?" I asked.

My mother smiled and walked over to me. I turned to the mirror as she pulled the beautiful fabric around my back and draped it over my arms. My hands traced over the sheer cloth.

"Ellie, you look perfect," Bonnie said, "Rider's going to absolutely die!"

"Bonnie!" I laughed.

"Speaking of Rider, isn't he coming to pick you up?" my mother asked.

"Yeah, well... his old car finally quit Wednesday, and it's still in the shop. It's an hours drive out of the way for us to pick him up, so he's catching a ride with his gang and meeting us there."

"Well if there's a photographer, make sure to get me a picture," my mother said.

"Will do, mom."