143. Staying the Night

S-stay the night? 

I wanted to peer over my shoulders and at the ill girl who suggested this, but was hesitant to do so. I was oddly afraid of what her countenance would be. It wasn't a fear that triggered my fight-or-flight instinct, rather, it was a fear that's more like a reluctance to discover the truth. Even though I wanted to know what facial expression she was using when suggesting it, but I was afraid to find out the truth. Therefore, I remained static and continued talking to her as she leaned on my back.

"Stay the night?" I repeated as a confirmation.

"Right," she whispered. "Don't worry. I'm not expecting anything to happen between us. I just want you to be by my side."

"If that's the case then—" 

I paused momentarily, thinking over her words. It would appear that she recognizes and accepts our relationship to be simply a platonic one of companionship and nothing else. With that condition established and my role as a companion calls for me to be by her side, then I really do not see a reason as to why I can decline this suggestion. However, I am still nervous about it all.   

"—I guess that's fine... But what about your parents?"

I felt the pressure applied onto my back alleviate as she raised her head off of my back and sat up straight once again. However, since I was still facing away from her with my back towards her, I was unable to see her countenance. Therefore, I slowly peered over my shoulder and met the eyes of the formerly sickly girl whose color seemed to have returned to her face as the medications slowly took effect. On her face was a smile that resembled her usual self.

"That's not a big deal," she said, reaching for her bag and taking out her phone. Then, she dialed a number on the touch screen and held the device up to her ear. After a few seconds, it would appear that the call connected. "Mom, would it be fine if I stay over at Erith's house tonight? Alright, thank you." Then, she hung up the phone and looked over at me with an accomplished smile on her face.

"Lying to your parents?" I looked into her eyes.

"It's fine," Luna shrugged. "I said that so that they won't have to worry as much and make the decision easier on them. Even though they'll ultimately agree if I told her the truth since I don't have much left to live and my wishes are supreme, it'll make them worry and I don't want that."

I realized that her explanation was extremely reasonable and her earlier words seemed to have been planned out. Judging by how skilled at telling that lie, it made me believe that she might've used it in the past. However, I wasn't entirely sure as to if it was true or not since it's simply my own speculation.

In any case, she successfully acquired her parental consent to stay the night outside of her home. Even though she didn't tell them the truth, the outcome would've been the same and this lie that she told saved her parents a night of worrying. However, I'm really not that sure that knowing that one's daughter will be deceased in less than a year would lead to a healthy mentality, but I guess it's still best to not rub any salt on an open wound.

Since I've agreed to let her stay the night, I guess there's no going back on the promise now. She seemed to be quite excited about it or something because on her face was a large smile as she looked about my house. Loriana wouldn't be back until tomorrow, so there's no worries about anyone coming in tonight. As long as Luna leaves early the next morning, then everything should be fine. But, there's also other problems if she's staying over with the main one being where she'll sleep.

Since there's still a long time until bedtime, I decided to not worry about sleeping arrangements for the time being. Instead, I was more occupied about alleviating this silent awkwardness that shrouded us. It was awfully awkward just sitting on the couch with the television being played as an ambiance distractor.