Chapter 41

The high shrill of my annoying ringtone that I keep forgetting to change drags me from my sleep and a string of ungodly noises leave my mouth.

I reach over somewhere to grab the phone and I squint my eyes open to look at the caller id: Zoe. I decline the call and turn my phone off and fall back asleep. Right before I fall asleep, I look at the clock in front of the bathroom.

11:00 pm. 

Skip school....check.

I drift back to sleep with one image floating around in my brain: my father turning his back on me and leaving me.

They always leave, don't they?

...

Deep breaths Bay. No one should be home. 

Mom is at work. Zoe is at school, The house is empty. I turn the key into the door and push the door open. No sign of any human being is in the house as far as I know. I hope mom didn't let father stay. I quickly walk upstairs and into my room. I grab my duffel bag underneath my bed and start piling it with clothes for 4 days. I pack my soap, hair products, and diffuser and straightener. I look through my closet and contemplate what I should wear to my date with Brett. I know Brett's favorite color is black. 

An outfit idea pops up in my head and I dig through my closet for the pieces of clothing that will make up my outfit for the date. I pack it all into the duffel bag and I zip it up and get ready to head out of the house.

"Bay?" A familiar voice says and it sends chills down my spine causing me to shiver. I turn around slowly to meet my father. He looks like he just rolled out of bed and he is rubbing his eyes. 

"She let you stay?" I scoff and look at my father who is wearing a shirt and boxers. 

Make yourself at home.

"Bay. Shouldn't you be at school? You didn't come home as well."

"Last time, you aren't my parent.  You don't get to butt into my life and tell me where I should be and what I should and shouldn't do. Where the hell do you get off thinking you should!" I bite back and turn around and head for the door. I open the door and slam it behind me.

I hop on the bus and make my way back to the hotel, intending on catching up on TV marathons to distract my mind from the chaotic thoughts bouncing around my mind.

...

"Why weren't you at school or answering my calls you selfish bitch!" Zoe's voicemail plays. I can't help but snort in laughter at her attempted angry voice, but behind it is worry and annoyance.

I dial her number and on the 2nd ring, she answers. "You stupid bit-"

"Too much profanity."

"Rich coming from you."

"Whatever."

"Where are you?"

"I am staying at a hotel for a few nights. I can't be in the same house as him. He is sleeping there, you know that right? He needs to leave by next week Wednesday before Leo comes back and his whole world crumbles."

"I agree, but what can we do? I hate him there. I saw him this morning and we had this big argument this morning before I just ran out the house. Oh, and Issac was asking for you all day."

"He was?" I ask and feel the blood rush to my cheeks.

"Yeah. And also Brett, but he said he will text you. Speaking of, did you get your two boy toys texts and calls."

"Of course I got them, but there is something called not reading and ignoring everything including my best friend and my friendly friend boy."

"You shouldn't ignore them. They are worried sick and they won't stop bombarding me. Brett is nice though. He sat with me at lunch today because I had no one to sit with. He is really nice. I see why you said 'yes' to him"