Prologue

I squint, staring up at the ceiling and watch the fan move in continuous circles as I wait for sleep to take me. I glance at the clock on my night stand, it reads 3:30 am. Sighing I roll onto my side, sleep is a constant battle for me. I've never had an easy time at night. I don't think a lot of people do. How are you supposed to sleep with so many thoughts constantly attacking you? 

I impatiently wait, wiggling my toes under the covers, listening to the subtle snores next door.

They're the lucky ones. Falling asleep instantly, whereas it takes me a few hours to fall asleep. That is- if I fall asleep.

I scoff slightly, kicking off the covers, if I'm not going to sleep I might as well do something. I clamber over to my closet, my bare feet barley making any noise on the hardwood floor. I get dressed in my favored outfit, which consists of blackish blue jeans, a tank top, tonight's color being maroon, and my dad's old leather jacket. I slip on my worn-out combat boots before trudging over to my window.

I'm glad this family actually trusts me. I easily slide the window open, letting the cold air rush in as reach out for the tree parallel to my window and climb down it easily. After checking my surrounding for prying eyes, I jog to the forest behind the house.

I've been in this home for about three weeks now. Two more weeks and this will be the longest time I've ever been in the same place for a while.

It's hard for me to stay in one place for very long. I don't know why, and honestly, I prefer it this way. Not staying in one place very long means I won't get attached, and not getting attached is good. Especially for someone like me. I've already learned my lesson, more than once.

If they don't move on from me, I take actions into my own hands. I move on before they can leave me. Because eventually they all do. No matter what they promise.

I tie my wavy dark brown hair into a messy high ponytail. A few stray hairs gracing the side of my face. The air is still, the cold lingering around me. 

The forest is the only place I really feel at home. It's the place I usually escape to. But this time I'm not running, I'm just going for a late night walk, just getting some air. At least that's what I'm telling myself. I never really know when I'm going to run. When I need to escape. Sometimes it just happens and I need to leave right then and there but other times I can feel it. Like a ache in my body. The need to leave. Sometimes I can feel it for weeks before it becomes to much.

I rub the smooth leather over my arms, trying to create some friction to warm myself up. Although my dad's jacket is roomy it offers little protection to the cold. But it's the only thing I really feel safe in.

As I walk through the forest I kick at leaves and fallen twigs. Looking up at the sky I catch a glimpse of the bright stars through the trees. It's fall so I have a pretty clear view as I wander through the deserted forest. I search for the little dipper, something an old family always used to point out to me, but then I notice something. A light emanating from behind me, from the direction of my most recent home.

I spin on my heels and stare at the light. The sun can't be rising yet, can it? I look down at my watch, 3:55 am, there's no way that's the sun. My feet take off in the direction of my home.

As I leave the safety of the forest I stop in my tracks.

Fire. Fire everywhere. I can only stare as the flame engulfs the house, the red fingers reflecting off of my icy blue eyes. The warmth of the constant glow making me forget about the cold creeping around me. My eyes flicker between the house and the forest, my feet unconsciously moving towards an escape. 

How could this have happened? I was just here. Not even twenty minutes ago. Everything was fine. Everything was calm. But now. Everything is falling apart again.