4.1 - Magic Lasts Until Midnight

*unedited*

Now off you go...for you shall go to the ball. ~Fairy Godmother (Cinderella, 2015)

We are back to modern times! As the title suggests, this arc is based off of the Cinderella fairytale with a bit darker (not really though) and dirtier twist. Think of it as a modern Chinese retelling of Cinderella, basically. Well, sort of Chinese. I wanted this to take place during college, but I only know how American colleges work. So, we have our characters of Chinese heritage attending an American college. I actually like this idea better than having it take place in China.

Sun Hui woke up to see in front of him an average height boy with white blonde dyed hair pulled into a tiny ponytail at the back. Messy bangs covered his small forehead every which way and reached past his heavy lidded dull blue gray eyes that looked on with great, soft indifference. He looked so neutral, so relaxed, that it almost seemed he was about to doze off in a sleepy state.

His smooth skin was pale, going nicely with his white blonde hair. He wasn't muscular, he wasn't fat, but he wasn't skinny, either. His body was, in a way, completely flawless looking. It was concealed by a long sleeved white dress shirt which was again covered by an opened vest. Underneath his collar was tied a tie.

When Sun Hui stretched out his right arm, the boy stretched out his left in unison. Sun Hui stretched out his left, the boy stretched out his right. It was Sun Hui's reflection.

The mirror was mounted onto the wall above a simple white bathroom sink, complete with a cabinet beneath and some hand towels folded neatly over the rim. Right beside it on the right was a white toilet and the left a two-in-one bath and shower with toiletries such as soap and shampoo stashed on the built-in shelving.

The bathroom was pretty small looking, but contained all of the basic necessities for a bathroom. The floor was cemented with white tiles and the walls painted an off-white with a rather ugly popcorn ceiling.

His watch beeped. Actually, his system had been up and running ever since the last world after they had rearranged the plot. Li Tai had told him because of the Lord God's demise, the system had somehow been reprogrammed to its original purpose. Using his hacker skills, Li Tai had managed to put a tracking device into the system with a little bit of Wang Shuo's soul so that way Sun Hui didn't need to look effortlessly for the ring again. While Clyde had promised, Sun Hui came to the conclusion that Wang Shuo still couldn't possibly remember his previous lives yet. Of course, this action had shortened Jack's life span a ton. While he was still alive when Sun Hui died, he was sure that Jack died shortly after. He didn't need to worry about Caroline for Jack had made a bond with her so that way Jin Min's soul could follow him right after he had left. It was mainly to keep watch on her to ensure she didn't lose her memories again, or at least he would be right near her if she needed them back. He only hoped Clyde made it okay and wasn't too lonely.

He clicked on the watch's screen, pulling up the plot and transmitting it to his brain along with memories.

Once it had been stored, Sun Hui blinked a few times. He didn't know if he should laugh or cry. So far, he has been a bullied gay sixteen year old, an eighteen year old intersexual, an accident prone eighteen year old Victorian—all of which were cannon fodder—and now, he was a sad version of Cinderella, it seemed. Being free from the Lord God had only thrown him into even more ridiculous and depressing roles.

In this world, Sun Hui was a freshman college student named Hui Guniang. He was originally born in China, but his father had been recently widowed when he turned nine years old. When he was ten, his father had remarried an American woman who insisted on the duo moving with her as she didn't want to abandon her two daughters. Hui Guniang's naive and ignorant father had seen no wrong in doing so. His father had dragged his ten year old son to the foreign country, where Hui Guniang didn't feel as if he belonged. His two older sisters often gossiped about him to their peers in school. As the two were popular being the offspring of a successful model, the other children stayed away from the new immigrant transfer student. But Hui Guniang hated to worry his father, so he always told him that he loved his new life in America and their new family whenever he was asked in order to not increase his stress from work or to cause concern.