[5] mysteries of the ether.

Planetary News: The University of Mars is having its annual senior class graduation ceremony, the Headmaster is reminding all parents of the graduating class that they are required to attend. Failure to do so will result in a fine and their child won't be given their certificate.

 Failure to do so will result in a fine and their child won't be given their certificate

Oli had learned everything about her father from her adoptive mother, Susan Goldman. Still, she hadn't expected him to be so... intense—especially with how he had grabbed Little Baron Man with brute force after learning of her existence. She smiled knowing her father wasn't some goody-two-shoes. Or worse, a boy scout.

Yuck! The thought made her want to puke.

Detective Julian Tello was a badass who had entered Little Baron Man's office with a swagger only seen in big-budget action movies, kicking the metallic door off its hinges with one kick—Pow!—while smoke oozed off him like his body was made of dry ice. He then said, Little Baron Man, me here. Little Baron Man stopped reading his porn articles and turned to Swaggy Julian, saying, Badass Detective, yuh beautiful, intelligent, an' badass daughter is here. Turn 'round.

Her father's reaction wasn't what Oli had expected. But honestly, it went better than she had hoped. His shocked face said his mind was having trouble coming to terms with the fact that the woman in front of him was his daughter and not his late wife. It would have troubled anyone. Hell, it had bugged the shit out of Syla War—the so-called Chief of The Universal Authority.

Oli smiled, remembering Syla whimpering after seeing her. The fear of capital punishment weighed in his mind. He had done so much, risked too much, to be where he was at, and her existence would take all of it away from him.

She wanted to tell Detective Julian Tello—No, she promised to call him J.

She wanted to tell J and Little Baron Man that her adoptive mother had assured no one would ever find out she was a clone. As an important cloning scientist on Mars, Susan had done some mumbo jumbo to Oli's body where even if people examined her to see if she was a clone, they wouldn't be able to tell.

But then, there was no fun in telling the three men that.

Not now, anyway.

Soon... Maybe.

J hadn't said a word since leaving TUA, their mini-introduction in the hallway the first and last time they spoke to each other. Oli didn't want to pressure him into talking, seeing as he was lost in his thoughts as he flew his skimmer.

He was a handsome man, though. Even her adoptive mother had agreed. His cacao-black skin reminded her of her favorite snack: Martian chocolate with groundnuts mixed with milk in them. The ice-cold blue undertone that accompanied his skin gave him a striking appearance. For a man so dashing, so striking, so debonair, so, so, so...

She was trying not to think of him as sexy.

But damn it, he was!

He looked like a soap opera actor. And even had the name too: Julian Tello!