Chapter 7

I look to my left, frowning at the numerous grooves of trees that looked completely identical to the ones on the right. And sadly, just like the ones in front of me, and also the ones behind me.

I'm lost.

I don't quite understand how me, a werewolf, managed to get lost; how I somehow managed to wonder off so far from the original path that my nose could not pick up Caspar's scent anywhere, let alone our damn link. The same link that became useless when we were extremely far from one another.

"Well Levi, you've really done it now." I mumble to myself as I use the large branch I'd found a while back to swat away the overgrown grass from my feet.

It didn't help that it was probably after three, meaning my dads would most likely be organizing a search party at this very moment; meaning they would never ever ever let me come out here again once they found me.

I groan under my breath at my stupidity. I just had to trail off didn't I; I couldn't just leave the stupid bunnies alone.

I take a deep breath before flushing out those useless thoughts. I got those pictures because I knew Peter would probably combust from happiness at the sight of them. I didn't regret taking them for him.

"This is what you get for being a good person." I whisper to myself with a helpless chuckle.

The rustling of nearby leaves makes me turn swiftly, my grip on the branch so tight that it snaps. I catch the broken piece before it can hit the ground. My eyes dart around the seemingly empty space, studying it cautiously and carefully.

When my vision fails to distinguish anything, probably due to the gradually darkening sky, I force myself to calm down. I mananged to control myself just enough to be able to ignore the thumping of my own heartbeat, but I could hear the thumps of another.

Budump. Budump. Budump. Budump. Budump. Budump.

A rapidly pounding heart beat that visciously fills my ears, causing mine to spike in response. Something was there, watching me, studying me, and I hated that I knew exactly what it was.

What else could it be?
What else in this forest could possess a heart beat that barbaric;
With a presence this silent that mirrored the stories which came from it.

I had two options-
Fight or Run.

I wasn't that keen on fighting something known to kill on sight. Plus both options, according to history, either left you dead or very damn close to it. I could shift, but by the time I'd be in wolf form I'd be dead.

There was only one solution I could think with the pressure of death weighing over me. I had to keep moving.
If I didn't, it'd just end worse.
So against my better judgement I relax my defensive stance, straightening myself with a shuddering breath before I turn around and keep walking.

I was praying to Goddess, I was heading North and towards the pack. That'd give me a better chance, so I continued my journey on what I believed to be the correct path.

Now that I was aware of it. I could hear it following me. I could hear it's heavy pants, it's thumping heart, the scent of pheromones that signaled the end.
My end.

An end that grew closer and closer with each passing moment. I call out for Caspar hopelessly through our link, thankful and despaired that he didn't reply. At least I knew he was far enough to not run into this thing. He'd be safe.

When the lands I'd wondered in became familiar I felt my heart jump.

Could I make it? If I ran, could I make it to the pack? There was about thirty miles between me and the pack. There was no way right? Absolutely no way. Not unless it was distracted. But what on earth could distract a breathing killing machine.