Chapter Twenty-Three: The Trouble With Tony

Peter wandered around the mansion. It was quiet at night. Peaceful. He couldn't sleep, he could only think about the upcoming war looming around everyone's consciousness.

   Vision floated through the wall. "What are you doing up at this time of night?"

   "I like the peace and quiet," Peter said.

   Vision smiled. "Really? Surprising. You seem to get bored easily. But, I'll tell you a secret. I like the quiet too."

   "I bet." Peter wasn't surprised. "How's Wanda?"

   "She's fine. How's May?"

   "She's fine."

Vision floated along next to him. 

"What are you thinking about?" Peter asked, seeing the faraway look on Vision's face.

   "The war."

   "Oh. Anything besides that?"

"Wanda."

"What about her?" Peter asked curiously.

"I love her, do you know?"

"Yeah, I do. Kinda obvious. But what about that? Wait, you guys are still a thing, right?"

"Yes. May I tell you something?"

"Go ahead."

"Can I confide in you?" Vision gave him a serious look.

   I'm not too great at keeping secrets buuuuuut... "yeah."

"With Tony's marriage on the horizon, I thought about us. Wanda and I, that is. And sometimes, I fantasize about asking to marry her."

Peter swiveled his head. "Dude, no way! She would totally say yes!"

Vision half smiled. "That's what I'm afraid of."

"What?" Peter asked, confused.

"What if the war gets in the way? What if I lose her?"

"I think... I think she'll be okay."

"I hope so... but I'm practically a robot, Peter. A figment of Stark's imagination. I was literally JARVIS at one point. I'm not even a real man. I've been called a toaster before. She might as well just marry a microwave..."

"Hey, don't talk like that. I've had people try to tell me I'm not a real man."

   "But you are," Vision said, comforting him.

   "That's my point. I'm a real man. You're a real man."

   Vision smiled, chuckling a bit.

   "And you love her, right? Truly love her? Not to mention she loves you."

"But what if my love is programmed?"

"It's not. If you two truly love each other, it'll work out."

Vision was silent for a while. "Thank you," he whispered.

They were quiet again, continuing along the abandoned hallway.

"Vis? What are you doing out of bed at this time of night?" Wanda asked as she turned into their hallway, a few cookies in hand.

"Just wandering the silent halls again, dear. It's incredible, the peace that you'll find."

"What about you?" She raised a suspicious eyebrow at Peter.