17. Son of a biscuit

As soon as Xavier saw that girl who he thought was Anna, he scurried after her, leaving me alone on the dance floor.

Walking as fast as I could in the damn dress, I followed him out of the hall. I could make the silhouette of that girl at the upper end of the stairs.

"Ouch.", My feet slipped because of stepping on the hem of my dress in hurry and I fell down on the ground, muttering few curses under my breath.

Xavier dashed towards me and helped me stand up. Sharp pain erupted through my ankle when I put my feet on the ground.

He led me to a stool and bent down and inspected my ankle. I hissed in pain when he applied a little pressure.

"Ok, it will hurt a little.", He said and twisted my foot.

"You son of a biscuit.", I screamed at the sudden pain and shut my eyes tightly.

"Can you walk?", He asked with concern when I opened my eyes.

I tried to stand up. The pain had not completely vanished but it was better than before.

"Walk? Yes. Climb through these stairs? Hell no.", I answered, earning an eye-roll from him.

"You go and find-", before I could speak further, he stooped down and picked me up in his arms.

"Oh God, what are you doing?", I cried out in surprise and grasped his shoulders in fear of falling again.

"Not now, Hazel. We don't have time to waste.", He said and started climbing the stairs. I couldn't protest further because he was right. If we lose them now, all our efforts would go in waste.

I ignored the way my heart was responding to his closeness.

After we reached the floor, he lowered me down and I straightened my dress which had ridden up.

"Come on, this way.", He held my arm tightly and we both sprinted across the hallway. There were five rooms at the other end of the hallway.

"Now what?", I looked at each room in confusion.

We got our answer soon when we heard sobs coming from the last room.

We both darted to that room and Xavier collided with the door using all his force. The door shot open with a boom and the scene inside the room made me gasp.

Anna was standing near the bed, her face was red and stained with tears. Her hair was ruffled and standing beside her was Alex, with a horrified expression on his face.

Before any of us could understand anything, Xavier moved towards Alex and punched him on his face, causing him to fall on the ground.

Alex tried to move up but Xavier didn't give him a chance and kicked roughly in his stomach. Alex's face contorted in pain and he let out a loud whimper.

I was too confused to speak or move and Anna looked like she was about to collapse.

"How dare you touch my sister? How dare you make her cry?", Xavier's feet slammed into his chest again and that shook me out of the trance.

Ignoring the pain in my ankle, I ran behind him and begged him to stop but he was not even listening to me.

"Stop." He was about to crash into him one more time when Anna shouted.

He turned out and looked at Anna, whose face was laced with concern for Alex. I took advantage of this time and helped Alex stand up on his feet.

"Why did you stop me?", Xavier asked.

"Because you are beating the wrong person. He is not the reason of my tears.", Anna yelled at him, her voice breaking with tears.

"What do you mean?"

"Alex is not the guy I eloped with. It was Rafael.", She said, slumping down on the bed.

Who the f**k is the Rafael now?

"Rafael? The son of our family rivals?", Xavier's voice turned hard at the mention.

What the hell is going on here? Is it some kind of soap opera?

"I ran away with Rafael and Alex followed me so that he could take me back.", She mumbled.

She looked at Alex who was now sitting on the couch, leaning his head back and massaging his jaw slowly.

I sat down beside him and inspected his jaw. Thank God there was no fracture but it looked like it was going to bruise badly.

"Come here, you fool. Why didn't you tell me that? I was so afraid.", I said, controlling the tears that were brimming my eyes.

He didn't speak anything. Instead, hugged me tightly and rested his chin on my shoulder.

"I am sorry, I was out of my wits. I couldn't just let her go with that jerk. He was taking her advantage.", He spoke slowly.

I felt bad for him and patted his back in comforting manner.

"Where is that bastard now?", Xavier growled in anger.

"Don't worry. I now know that he was just trying to take my advantage to hurt Dad.", Anna said, she looked ashamed of what she did.

"I caught him with his real girlfriend, talking about how he was using me to ruin our family's name.", She said between small whimpers.

"He tried to hurt me and-", she couldn't complete her sentence because of the hiccups.

"I will kill him.", Xavier roared.

I have never watched him this angry. His face was flushed with anger and the veins in his neck was popping out.

"Don't bother.", Alex gritted through clenched teeth.

"I reached here in time and taught that fuck*r his place. He would be running to a hospital right now."

Xavier's face finally softened and guilt replaced the anger in his blue orbs.

"Thank you.", He said to Alex which he returned with a nod.

"And sorry.", He added.

"Don't worry. I would have done the same if I had found my sister in a hotel room with another guy.", Alex said and I choked on the air.

"Uhmm... Right.", Xavier exchanged a worried glance with me and sat down beside his sister.

"Let's give them space.", I said to Alex and we both moved out of the room.

"Where are you staying?", I asked.

"There is a cheap motel at a small distance.", He replied.

"Oh."

"And you?"

"Umm...we just arrived today.", I lied, not wanting to tell him that I spent the night with Xavier.

After talking for five minutes in the hallway, we moved back inside where Anna was whimpering, her face was hidden in Xavier's chest and he was muttering consoling words to her.

******************************

Ok so they have found them. What else now? Any idea?