Chapter One: Race

originally posted October 4th 2014, rewritten September 23, 2017, edited December 2023}

Your P.O.V

"I am definitely faster that you!" I say to my best friend, Rose. She chuckles, probably thinking she's going to be faster. The sound of wind ringing in my ears as I run over the grass.

"I don't think so." She says with a smile, easily catching up with me.
We stand on the top of a cliff, the wind blowing through our hair.

We are the only two who have this gift, as far as we know. The ability to change into a dragon. If we could, we would've told the world. But it's not smart. They would use us for experiments or things even worse. I shake the thought and look down, the ground probably kilometers away, and the sea even further.

"Okay ready (Name)?" Rose asks.

"Go!" I say and I jump off the cliff.

I let myself drop backwards, like some divers do, and I feel a tingle in my stomach as I surge towards the ground. I enjoy the feeling of wind blowing through my hair. I look at Rose, who already changed. Now it's my turn and with just a thought, I change into dragon. And not just any dragon. Out of all dragons I had to be one of the rarest; a night fury. I've never seen anyone like me. I don't know what kind of dragon Rose is, we both tried to figure it out for years now. I fly higher into the clouds, Rose only a few meters behind me. From here, I can see the village of Berk. I smile at it. It looks so warm and peaceful, people are dancing and drinking. I wish I can be with the other humans, live my life and enjoy great meals. I fly lower, and I almost touch the sea.I can hear Rose roar in excitement.

"I told you I'm faster!" When I don't get a response after a couple seconds, I look to the side but I don't see Rose. I look behind me and saw her flying back, faster then I have ever seen her fly.

What? I stop flying and I want to turn around, but a shadow above me stops my from my actions. My breath is caught in my throat. Another night fury. With someone on top. They're following me now, I'm sure of it.

"Come on Toothless, we have to follow that dragon!" A boys voice rings through the clouds. I panic.
Not far away I see a small island with some threes. Good, I can hide there. I fly smoothly through the trees, shaking the other night fury off of my back. I smile and look back. He is gone! I look back but my face is met with a hard surface. I fall to the side and into a large open space. Ouch. I blink a couple of times, my vision is blurry. There's water on the side and I'm surrounded by stone walls. I quickly recover and run behind the nearest tree I see, quickly changing back into my human form. Not many seconds later, the boy and his dragon land on the spot where I crashed.

"Where did he go?" The boy asks. Excuse me I'm a girl last time I checked.

The boy walks in a few circles, searching for me. I look behind me, an escape route clearly visible. As quiet as I can, I grab a branch and try to pull myself up. Almost there. I silently place my foot on another branch, but to my horror it snaps, and I fall down, again. Damn.

"Stay here Toothless." I hear him say. Panic rises in my body. But I'm amazed when I see him walking the other way. This is my chance.

Maybe a stupid chance but I don't want to get into the hands of humans. So I run as fast as I can. A perfect wall of rocks leads up to the surface, not far from my hiding spot. Great.

"Wait!" I hear the boy scream, but I don't listen. After almost falling down a couple of times, I get to the top, exhausted, but alive. And I run again, my legs tired but I know I have to run. But I forgot, he has the dragon. He's after me, but the dragon is suddenly in front of me. I'm surrounded, and panic rises again.

"Were not going to hurt you." The boy says.

I look to the night fury.
He smells my hand, and suddenly starts rolling into the grass beneath us. I frown. The boy laughs. The most beautiful laugh I have ever heard.

"That is Toothless. And I am Hiccup." He says. Strange name though. I nod. Hiccup comes closer to me, causing me to step back.

"Don't be afraid! What is your name?" He asks. I just keep staring to him, like a weirdo. He nodded.

"Okay not so much of a talker. Have you perhaps seen another night fury? It flew in your direction." Hiccup says. With wide eyes I shake my head. He probably saw me. He saw me! I look around me, trying to find an exit. A tree, and a high one too. If I'm fast enough I can climb up, and change and fly! Sounds easy, maybe too easy, but I have to try. I point behind me.

"That way." I say. Hiccup nods and looks me in the eye. What a pair of eyes he has. Okay focus (Name)! He hops on the back of Toothless and flies off in the direction I pointed him. Now is my chance. I change and climb in the tree with an immense speed. Once I'm at the top I jump, and fly off as fast as I can. I sigh and smile. That was easy. I did it. I land a couple of kilometers further, on a small island. I sigh and change to my normal self. Only now I notice my arm hurts a bit. I sigh.

"Damn (Name). Got lucky. If he caught me I'd probably be a carpet now. Luckily he's not quick minded." I whisper to myself.

"Trust me, no I wouldn't make you into a carpet, but you could've told me." My heart almost stops, and I turn around. I didn't even hear him. There he stands all mighty and proud. The boy named Hiccup.